Forum Friend To All Has Passed

Fred was the oil upon the waters of my oft times turbulent sea, when my words were too passionate he had a way of chastising without my feeling chastised with his easy going unassuming manner, “his soft way of delivering a strong answer”.😏 A true gentleman and all round decent human being, the knowledge of his passing has come as a shock.😔

I first met Fred in Arizona at Rich Hill with Chris Gholson at one of the AZO gatherings, we were camped up at decision corner and he invited us to his motor home for some of his famous ‘Chile Verde”. I had no idea what it was, so for this Aussie country bumpkin it was an enjoyable learning curve. Since then we’ve often passed messages too and fro as well as forum chat.

From memory the last time I saw Fred was in WA when he was on a gold tour up in the Kimberley North West Australia, I heard the group were in the vicinity of where I was working so I went over to say hello and ended up getting invited back to the camp that night for dinner.

Fred I will miss our interactions with each other, without your wise words and calm ways the world is now a much poorer place.😪 

RIP Fred,

You were both a neighbor in our MD interests, and in our our home base - San Diego.  As has been said so often in this thread,  we will miss your input, feedback, sensible knowledge and comments.  
I just wish we had talked more often while you were so darn nearby.

Sincere condolences to your family, and thanks for sharing Fred with us.

By now most of you have heard of Fred's legendary Chile Verde.  Many of you may not have the recipe.   

Here it is:

my version of Chili Verde May not satisfy the purists....

a small batch:

three pounds bbq pork ribs- boneless

one large can of chopped green chili 

several garlic cloves 

one or two tablespoons of ground Red Pepper 

Two chopped serrano peppers and 3 to 5 whole, how hot do you want it?

chop the meat, dump the rest in, cover with a beer and water, bring to a boil, simmer to your hearts delight!

I like to thicken with cornstarch .

I won,t be there...have fun!

fred

salt to taste

I just read this and to say I am shocked and bewildered is an understatement.

He just purchased a new bungee cord a couple of months ago.

Fred was just a great guy and a good customer.  From time to time I would send him a new prototype to test.  He was always very straight forward, honest and helpful in his recommendations.  Damn, he will be missed.

Fred I know you will still be out there with us where-ever our travels may take us.  You will not be forgotten friend.  My prayers and thoughts are with your family.

Doc

Thank you Fred!

For all the wit and wisdom you so freely shared! You will never truly leave us!

And to his family, i pray his passing was as painless and peaceful as possible!

God Bless you all!🙏😇

I would like to thank everyone of you who read this post and especially the ones that left comments. For me it has been like attending a celebration of life for a dear friend. I never get up in front of a crowd and say the things that I would like to share about good people and I know that I am not alone.

I am going to encourage Freddy's family to access this forum to read all of the nice things that people have shared.

I am adding a picture of our last hunt together in Northern Nevada last October.

Left  to right Jonni and Fred, Mike G. and Michelle, My wife Heather, myself and Louise. (she goes by Lucile on the forum}

Fred with group.jpg

Thank you Norm.  I was at the outing and Fred drove way up the hill (about 5 miles) to find Chet and me up there detecting.  Later he was stopped for lunch and we had a chat and showed him some gold for a change.  It was after that hunt when people were asking him if he would go to Bill's outing he wrote the Chile Verde recipe for all to enjoy.  He just wasn't going to make that one after Rye Patch.

His words won't be forgotten.