Forum Friend To All Has Passed

I’ve know Fred for several years!  Back when I first met him was down in the Deserts of the Dale District.  Back in them days, he’d head out in the morning and you wouldn’t see him till near dark.  We finally found a nice patch down there where he could camp on the patch, lol.  Hunted many times with him in the Rye Patch area and in the tall Pine Trees of Plumas County, CA.  Great Conversations, always good food and a cold beverage!  I’ll miss his smiling face and will be thought of during my Prospecting trips where we’ve stomped the same grounds at!  

RIP

Fred always talked to me about being lucky rather than good.  He would always jab me with that line and get a rise out of me.  Most of it was because I showed him my 'lifetime nuggets' which he delighted in very much.

I shared with Fred the enjoyment of finding meteorites.  It was at one of these meteorite hunts that I went on that I found my first 'lifetime nugget' as Fred labeled it.  Fred was not there but he was one of the first to see the 3.5/1.5 ozt nugget I found in Franconia.  He told me at the time it was good any time someone could find over 1 ozt of gold.  He told me he had not done it in all his years. (I hope he did it later because I saw one near an ounce.)

A little less than two years after that first find I had a driven urge to go back to the same general area.  I had a plan that wouldn't shake from my mind.  It came together on a Thanksgiving day.  I had slept in my Trooper the night before and when I got up I detected for about an hour before I found a large nugget.  I called a few people and told them what I had and they told me that Fred and Grandpa John were at the Dale.  I had to show it to someone so I packed up and drove the 150 miles to where they were.  As it happened they (Jonni also) were just having a late Thanksgiving dinner and I was invited in the trailer to eat.

I told Fred I had something to show him.  I made him close his eyes and I put this object (20/8 ozt) in his hand.  He said what is it?  A meteorite?  And then I watched him look at it.  He knew I had another 'lifetime nugget' and he never let me forget it.  I was a bit vague where I found it and later they thought I had found it in The Dale.  Grandpa John told me in the morning that the nugget reminded him of a Goose Egg.  That is how it got its name rather than Turkey Egg.

I made a video just after I found the nugget that day and when I find it I'll post it to this thread in honor of Fred, the first person to see it other than me.

Mitchel

Fred's presence is going to be missed. Didn't we always know that if we were a touch off in our opinions or our information we could count on Fred to set us straight in his uniquely outspoken and bottom line way that was usually followed up with a comment of kindness that would let you down easy. I loved seeing that Fred had posted because, like most of us, I looked forward to an experienced and smart comment and he rarely let us down. He has undoubtedly moved on to better diggings and while his passing is our loss, it is heaven's gain. Rest easy friend and thank you.

I'm deeply saddened by this news. Fred has been a main stay on the forums for years. I'm meeting up with Chris Gholson tomorrow morning at the Q and I will let him know of this sad news. We will remember Fred with a toast around the camp fire. 

Dean

Rest in Peace as you shall be missed by those of you and your knowledge has touched.

Heaven has now received another whose detector is now on virgin ground with lots of finds for you to enjoy.

We shall miss you, and we shall remember your words that you have given us.

May your family know that we are praying for them during their time of grief.

Wow....enjoyed his posts....bummer

Very sad news indeed! I never met Fred but did have some interaction on this forum with him. I liked how he came across & enjoyed his posts. Seemed like a straight shooter to me & I'll miss seeing his thoughts on things.

Condolences to his family & many friends. 

So sorry to hear this news,spoke with Fred a few times and always willing to help.

R.I.P Fred you will be missed.