Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Gold Indian Head, My Best Find Ever

Great find!!! Gold coins have always eluded me. I've found a fair number of gold rings but no gold coins. I think I'd react the same way you did if I ever find one ?. As for the house coming down, maybe you can befriend the contractor and get in there after it is down and some top soil is scraped aside. They usually strip some top soil and then build a new house and return the top soil back. Lots of opportunities during and after the crews there. That is if you can get permission from the construction company or the owner.

• Like 5

I befriend a lot machine operators and detect right along side of the dozers. most think its pretty cool when you find something. Sad part is, That this is the third large track of property (100+ Acres) to be converted into housing developments in the last year and a half, within 3 miles of my house. History is very important, please pass this on to everyone you know.

• Like 3

Housing sales might go into a slump with the virus going on, may work out in your favor.

There is an old farm next town over that had an old civ war training camp. They broke most the property up and stuck large monopoly houses on it leaving only a small patch of the original ground left.

Someone was able to grease the palms of progress to get that past the hysterical society (not historical society).

By all means, return to that site. Suggestion: $2.50 gold pieces register at the higher end of the pulltab scale, and $5.00 gold pieces register as screwcaps. Mintage of 5's were vastly greater than 2.5's, so, be sure to dig all such targets. Hope more gold coins surface for you. HH Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom_in_CA said:

You are now officially a studmuffin.    Congrats on the holy-grail hole-in-one of md'ing.   Will you autograph my metal detector please ?

Hi Tom,  Have you ever got 2 in one day ?   Have you  got one as valuable as    Cal Cobra  since you have found many more then him.

4 hours ago, Dances With Doves said:

Hi Tom,  Have you ever got 2 in one day ?   Have you  got one as valuable as    Cal Cobra  since you have found many more then him.

Ahem ahem, yes I've found many more  than him, haha.   (can you please repeat that for cal cobra ?)  ?

No I've never found 2 in a day.  But I did find 2 in one week once.

And yes, one of my 16 is as rare as his 1865 s $5 gold :  My 1862 s $10 gold .  In both cases, there's "less than 100 known", or something like that.  It's a crap shoot as to whose is more numismatically valuable.  Depends on grading.  But as I recall, the values were in the same ball park.

• Like 1