White’s Electronics Done After 70 Years

15 minutes ago, Geotech said:

This is 100% on Howard, not White's. I also tried to work with him but he was excessively obstinate. I told him his behavior was gonna get him sued by Minelab and there was no way I would risk putting White's in the middle of that mess. And I was right. So Howard had 2 opportunities to work a deal (and even avoid a lawsuit) that would have made him a small fortune.

You're feeling sorry for the wrong people. The family was very much the root of the problem. Lots of people tried to steer the company away from the rocks but with no success. I was still there at the start of the MX Sport, I argued against the mechanical design as being way too bulky but a big pod and 8AA batteries were must-haves, along with that "White's sound" (bonk-bonk). No, the people to feel sorry for are the employees, who were the best bunch of people I've ever worked with.

I remember when you left and that worried me back then being the start of something bad, I know you had to go but you were the last great thing about the company, And you were always there to help and answer dumb questions,  That said it's a good thing you left when you did and still play a major part in the hobby today,

I didn't know that about the family, I knew about the other person and his attitude along with a few other bits, I just don't get how those is power can not see the negative input their actions have on a company

J.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mary Hudson is a jewel - happily for her, she retired last year. Todd is an Ace, with high tech companies around in OR, hopefully he will get a better job! Or maybe he would like a warmer climate - there is always El Paso - lots of high-tech stuff there now!!

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Somebody will want to buy them, it just boils down to price and if Ken will sell. Sadly, there is little possibility that the Sweet Home facility would survive. The key to fixing the current problem is low cost manufacturing in up-to-date facilities.

I keep wondering, who? I can say with confidence it ain't FTP. Minelab was interested 10-12 years ago, but I can't imagine they would still be interested now, they are so far beyond what White's has. Garrett now has the Apex platform to build off of, so not much there for them, either. Nokta/Makro? It would be a huge stretch for them to want a US manufacturing facility, and there is again not much IP that would interest them. I do know that a price I heard for selling the company 10 years ago was about 10X the real value, and I suspect that will be the case now. I will be surprised if there is a whole buy-out, I expect it will end in a big auction.

Like I said, some Chinese outfit. Buy the name, move manufacturing to China. But Ken may want too much money, and then he just gets liquidation value. His choices are a very low price, or a super low price. All I can tell you as a business owner/entrepreneur there is value here I could sell, and something is better than nothing. But Ken may be a “by God, I’ll take nothing before I’ll sell to the Chinese” type. Whatever, it’s all just blah blah blah anyway. Time will tell.

I hope its bought by Ukranians or Turks, maybe Detech or Nokta/Makro, and left to run where it is now. They are on the cutting edge of electronics these days and would infuse a lot of new tech into the company quickly.

18 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I keep wondering, who? I can say with confidence it ain't FTP. Minelab was interested 10-12 years ago, but I can't imagine they would still be interested now, they are so far beyond what White's has. Garrett now has the Apex platform to build off of, so not much there for them, either. Nokta/Makro? It would be a huge stretch for them to want a US manufacturing facility, and there is again not much IP that would interest them. I do know that a price I heard for selling the company 10 years ago was about 10X the real value, and I suspect that will be the case now. I will be surprised if there is a whole buy-out, I expect it will end in a big auction.

So has Howard left the company or is he still there ?

9 minutes ago, auminesweeper said:

I remember when you left and that worried me back then being the start of something bad, I know you had to go but you were the last great thing about the company, And you were always there to help and answer dumb questions,  That said it's a good thing you left when you did and still play a major part in the hobby today,

I didn't know that about the family, I knew about the other person and his attitude along with a few other bits, I just don't get how those is power can not see the negative input their actions have on a company

J.

6 years ago White's was a single decision away from a very different outcome. But it's company with a long history of missed opportunities.

17 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But Ken may be a “by God, I’ll take nothing before I’ll sell to the Chinese” type. Whatever, it’s all just blah blah blah anyway. Time will tell.

Actually, he'd rather take nothing than take any less than 75% of value. And I doubt the Chinese would pay for anything at all. They'll just start using the White's name & logo without paying for it.

26 minutes ago, Geotech said:

Actually, he'd rather take nothing than take any less than 75% of value. And I doubt the Chinese would pay for anything at all. They'll just start using the White's name & logo without paying for it.

Our conversation perfectly illustrates the difference in thinking between engineers and sales/marketing types! :laugh:

Ken’s mistake would be in thinking anything is worth more than it can be sold for. Things are only worth what they can get on the open market, nothing more. What he has invested or emotional value is meaningless to anyone but him.