Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Official Minelab GPX 6000 Page

I spent some time going through all (I think) of the GPX 6000 threads the other day and watched the vids.  

I saw on the vids that it had limited control options (not too concerned by that) but there was the ability to change between ground modes, change sensitivity, etc. 

A couple of things I didn't see but might have missed..

Was there a mention of the 6000 software being up-dateable like the Nox, GPZ and CTX?  

Was there an option to choose Manual Ground Tracking?   Again, not really an issue until you set the detector down to dig a big hole and it is continuously tracking the same ground (or maybe GeoSense recognises that and stops tracking ? ? ?). 

$6000 US correlates to about $7,900 Australian.  Best start working on my "of course this is an investment, darling.  It's just a couple of ounces".  ?

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m fine with either, as I can see people going both ways on it. The DD coil would be good in Northern Nevada salt locations, while the 17” would be good for patch hunting. My main concern is accessories, because what we get in the box may be all we can get for some time. Seems like with GPZ it was months before we could even buy a skid plate. If Minelab does not allot some extra coils so people can have all three, then I can already hear the grumping about whatever one is not in the box. 

Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

It’s already started Steve, had a good customer grumbling excessively about him wanting a 17” out of the start gates and emailed ML accordingly. Argh the joys of being a dealer!!!? Argh the joys of being a field tester!!!!? Argh the joys of proofing what I say a hundreds times before I hit the submit button!!!?

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Seems like with GPZ it was months before we could even buy a skid plate

That would be a definite bummer. How would we enjoy the 6000 without skid plates on the provided coils??

41 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’m fine with either, as I can see people going both ways on it. The DD coil would be good in Northern Nevada salt locations, while the 17” would be good for patch hunting. My main concern is accessories, because what we get in the box may be all we can get for some time. Seems like with GPZ it was months before we could even buy a skid plate. If Minelab does not allot some extra coils so people can have all three, then I can already hear the grumping about whatever one is not in the box. 

Minelab GPX 6000 Data & Reviews

dd would be good in Rushworth Victoria Australia too .....nasty ground.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gold Catcher said:

That would be a definite bummer. How would we enjoy the 6000 without skid plates on the provided coils??

GPZ coils... all Minelab coils... come with skid plates. But on GPZ people were wearing them completely out before you could get a spare. In a nutshell, 100% of production goes to building units. Minelab is not in the business of selling anything but detectors, so accessory coils, and even the most basic accessories, are often in very short supply for the first year. Unless something has changed, I expect the same thing again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have my name on the order list at a local distributor in Adelaide , South Australia and they confirmed in Australia that the 6000 will be coming out with the small mono and the DD coils - not the 2 mono coils as the Middle East videos suggested. Unsure what coils will be released as standard in other countries. They believed that the 17" elliptical will be released at a later date but did not know when.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

GPZ coils... all Minelab coils... come with skid plates.

Not entirely correct. I was lucky enough to win a Vanquish 340 in March last year at the Wedderburn (Victoria) metal detecting jamboree. Unboxed it at home and found that the skid plate is an optional extra and not included! - so i had to go and buy a skid plate before using it. I am not sure its a good thing that a entry level product misses out on a vital part just to keep the price down - i am sure some new people to our sport would not realise the importance of a skid plate. I suppose they are relying on distributors to educate people who buy this product. Cant see them doing this on the GPX6000 though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, VicR said:

Not entirely correct. I was lucky enough to win a Vanquish 340 in March last year at the Wedderburn (Victoria) metal detecting jamboree. Unboxed it at home and found that the skid plate is an optional extra and not included! - so i had to go and buy a skid plate before using it. I am not sure its a good thing that a entry level product misses out on a vital part just to keep the price down - i am sure some new people to our sport would not realise the importance of a skid plate. I suppose they are relying on distributors to educate people who buy this product. Cant see them doing this on the GPX6000 though.

Heck,  The dealer who offered up the detector for free, he wanted to make $5 profit so probably took the coil cover off.  

You might be right though on the beginner models, but I don't sell enough of those.

All Minelabs I have sold in the US for 20+ yrs came with coil covers.

At least you won a free Minelab detector.

• Like 4

Amazing Goop until someone comes out with a skid plate. On my NFA's I just Goop'ed each new hole until the entire plate was essentially covered in a thin layer of it and never bothered buying new skid plates. ? Easier for spoked coils I guess.

• Like 2