My GPX 6000 Experience

If you haven't read Steve's 'Novel' then do yourself a favour - thanks Steve for taking the time  😉

Spent the day with the 6000.   Coil on the ground from about 9.30 until 5 p.m. with a half hour break.  

Over 2 small areas at different locations that we have totally flogged with GPZ's, a QED, a 5000, an Equinox 800 and a Gold Monster.  Areas are probably 5 metres X 15 metres each.     Quite a few targets today that just shouldn't be there!!  11 of them lead shot too  🤔

At some stage this morning I had a fleeting thought of disappointment that what I had spent 8K on was not big and heavy and gave the impression that I've really 'got something' for my money.  And then I quickly realised that the light and nimble (yet well built and sturdy) 6000 was precisely why I forked out the cash on this new model instead of saving 3K and going for a heavy, harnessed, battery attached, need to work out something to make the audio wireless, GPX 5000.  Or even a 4500.  Seriously considered both.  I'm glad now, and my body will thank me long term, that the 6000 was the final choice.  

With the 11" attached the balance point of the shaft is about 6 inches closer to the control box than what the Equinox 800 is with its 11" DD and extended to the exact same length.  Hence, the 6000 is not quite as nose heavy and just feels really balanced.  All day today with no harness, no guide stick, no soreness at all.  Nice!

The manual says the 14" DD loses some depth but is essentially still as sensitive on shallower pieces.  The manual is correct!  The 2 smaller pieces in the photo were found with the 14" DD coil - ridiculous!!  😲  They add up to .07 gram together and to be honest I'm not sure how accurate that is - they may be lighter. 

I read where people said to throw away the DD and buy the 17" - based on the experiences of what a traditional DD offered I guess?  I'm not so sure about that.  Not a bad patch hunter I would have thought.  For a person that has never used a DD though - it is a bitch to pinpoint with 🤣 

More time is needed get a feel for it but Steve pretty much confirmed what I was thinking from today re: performance.  It doesn't quite have the extreme mineralisation handling characteristics I've found the SDC to have.  I did find about 4 hot rocks and did dig some ground noise.   Those are rare events with an SDC in the areas I went today.  Huge improvement on the hot rocks compared to the QED though. 

Small gold sensitivity?  Well, I think it pretty much equals the SDC in that regard.  But, if I already had an SDC and a Coiltek 14X9 I don't know that I would be racing out to buy a 6000 if my main local gold was small and shallow.  

Big, deep gold?  I don't know unfortunately, but hope to find out sooner rather than later  😜  It did find a few deep targets and it obviously 'lights up' targets differently to a GPZ and an SDC as some of these targets were right where they should not be.  

Today I was fossicking but purely to get some confidence on ground I know well.  There are a few other local spots that the 6000 will get a run to, as Reg Wilson would say, pick the last crumbs off the carcass.  However, I now feel I've got that light weight yet high performing prospecting machine that I can take out in the field with confidence.  

Almost forgot.  Played with the Threshold On and Off.  On for me.  Off was just weird.  Off is great on the Equinox when coin hunting but I can't see it getting a run on the 6K.  

Cheers, N.E.  

2123256165_Day1-Junk.jpeg.c0876b597575a27b9b580033cf0a801e.jpeg

1990739538_smallpic.jpeg.53082cbb311c95ae5e20572cbf189651.jpeg

Northeast  
  When you get all the fly 🪰 specks cleaned up let me know. Then when you put a big coil on your 6000 I’ll come down and hold your feet so you can get that nugget out of the hole you dug .

The Best!

Chuck