Ancient Coins Weighing 460 Kg Found In Shaanxi, China

Found this article from 2018, I missed it at the time so others may have too, pretty interesting, Looks an easy find for a metal detector but I'd imagine most would dismiss it as junk and move on without digging.

Workers found large number of ancient coins at a construction site in Baishui county of Weinan, Northwest China's Shaanxi province, on Nov 9, and archaeologists said most coins belong to Song Dynasty (960-1279).

Zhao Zhangfeng, director of Baishui cultural relics office, said that police received the report of the discovery around 11 am on Nov 9, and police soon arrived at the site and cordoned it off.

Archaeologists later arrived at the site and collected about 100,000 coins, weighing 460 kilograms. A few coins date back to Tang Dynasty (618-907), and most are of Song Dynasty.

Zhao said that few people could have so many coins at that time, and initial analysis showed that the coins belong to the old-style Chinese private bank that buried the coins during wars.

Continue reading here: https://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201811/13/WS5bea3daca310eff30328853b_1.html

coins.jpg.556208234a666ca029e346da3a915885.jpg

ย  ย  That would be a fantastic site to behold in person! Theย only thing that could improve the view is.... Silver and Gold!! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

How many of us would walk right over that thinking it's junk? Pretty sure I would.

• 1 month later...

That last picture with the pipe in it looks like it was previously laid in the dirt. If so, then they missed that hoard of coins by a foot or so. But no matter, the government would have taken it away from the finder anyhow.

ย