Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Who Has Had Issues With Their Gpx 6000?

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Gm1000 - Internal speaker failed - replaced under warranty

Gm1000 - Coil cracked - replaced under warranty

Equinox - Wobbly shaft - replaced under warranty

GPX 4500 - Ribbon cable for PCB hairline cracks in wire (outside of warranty, replaced myself with aftermarket cable) Old GPX is built tough.  Very happy with my older GPX 4500 and 5000 build quality so can't complain at all about them, tanks!

Go-Find 40 - Fold up hinge fell apart - Didn't bother claiming warranty as it's never going to be used, glued it. Hinge seems improved on newer Go-Find 44 model.

Pro Find 35 - Unstable / DOA

GPZ 7000 - WM12 rubber cover for USB broke in half within weeks - replaced under warranty

GPZ 7000 - Lower shaft clip broke replaced under warranty

CTX 3030 - Coil ear cracked on 17" coil, fixed myself as what's the point getting it replaced for it to happen again and didn't want the hassles of sending it away and then I'd be doing the fix to the new one straight away anyway to prevent it.

Pro Sonic - First one arrived decal upside down so buttons didn't line up, replaced.

Pro Sonic - Second one arrived and charged once then never worked again, refunded.

GPX 6000 - ! error on startup (DOA), Twisting shaft

I think I've remembered all of my problems, I've had so many I probably can't remember them all.  I'll update the post if anymore come to mind.

I have no problems with Minelab's warranty, they're perfectly normal, just as good as any other company really, the time away and the cost of shipping the products back to them is the big problems with the number of faulty products they sell.

I'm hearing you mate.Its like they just don't care and they don't.If I was selling this junk I would be cringing,not making out that everyone is overstating the problem.

• Like 1

One of my GP3000 had a replacement board under warranty when 2000 miles from home in West Australia. Lost a week detecting with it, but good service. All of my ML coils have had no faults or for that matter nearly no use. 

13 hours ago, nugget said:

I agree with that statement.To me if I or anyone else on this forum bought a top of the range car and had the amount of problems as i've had with this detector and all the add ons that go with it they would be crying blue murder.Its fine to say Minelab stand by their products but do they really.The quality of this stuff is 2 dollar shop standard and at no point have Minelab come out and admitted that they dropped the ball and made some serious mistakes.Sadly its just another faceless money grinder.To hell with quality.This is not a dig at the power of the 6000,but the lack of respect for their returning customers.They know we'll come and buy because they have no other competition as far as the serious detectorist is concerned.The trouble starts there no competition, pretty well a monopoly and with most monopolized situations the rot sets in.   

Got to agree Nugget.

If you have a look at the results of the poll, you get a fair idea of the scale of the problems with the 6K. I personally have heard of many faults that have not been reported on the forums.

Quite clearly, IF you get a good one, they are a good detector, not withstanding the ongoing twisting shaft issue. However, the shear amount of issues with this release well and truly put it in the Lemon category. 

I'm sorry, but Minelab's silence, and the general dismissive attitude towards those who care to raise these issues, is just not on! We are talking about the " Ferrari " of detectors here, not just a $100 Aldi special.

If I was still a Minelab dealer I would be disgusted, and out of respect for my customers, I would refuse to sell this product until Minelab did a complete QC audit and fixed the issues! It is poor behaviour by Minelab to continue to sell a product that they know has an unacceptable failure rate. 

Furthermore, as a buyer of Minelab products for 22 years, it has decimated any idea I had of ever owning one, UNTIL the QC issues are completely addressed. I sincerely hope that Minelab learn from this debacle and put a lot more effort into QC in future releases.

Rick 

• Like 6

• 11 months later...

Hi all, first time posting. I’ll make it quick. 
 #1 fifth time out 11” coil dead. #2 under 100hrs (well under I think?) the second 11” died. #3 I was talked into the speaker upgrade/repair against my will as I only use headphones.  Dropped off a working machine and 3 weeks later after multiple phone calls was told everything good come and pick up your detector. Get there and told we had to send your detector off to minelab because 2x bad  11” coils was not right?? 4 weeks without an $8000 detector and getting the run around?? Starting to wonder if this was a good purchase for a part time hobby!!

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Todd Maclean said:

Starting to wonder if this was a good purchase for a part time hobby!!

Sorry to hear that Todd, they really screwed up delivering a quality product with the 6000 but once you get a good working one it is a fantastic detector.  The EMI fix is worth it even if you use only headphones, why have a $8000 detector with a fault? Plus some have reported it improves stability even when using headphones. 

The service agent seems like they're giving you the run around though and it's pretty poor form of them.  My turnaround for my EMI repair was the next day.  I suspect they found something more wrong with yours and have now sent it to Minelab for repair.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Todd Maclean said:

I have multiple minelab products with no issues and would hate to think somehow this 6000 was a mistake. 

The 11" coils have had their fair share of issues, it's not abnormal to need them replaced more than once, they have improved the plastic as people were getting cracking on the ears and the coil itself.  The coils themselves have had faults causing coil errors/shutdown and general instability, I've only had mine replaced once but I've basically stopped using it and went with aftermarket coils instead, both Coiltek and Nugget Finder are making coils for it, and I trust them both to be more reliable than the standard coils.  I just leave my Coiltek 10x5" on mine full time now, I have the Coiltek 14x9" but I find it not sensitive enough and worse than the 11" for sensitivity so I don't really use it.   It's pretty crappy you have to buy an aftermarket coil to trust your coil though as the 11" is a really sensitive coil when it works well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I've only had mine replaced once but I've basically stopped using it and went with aftermarket coils instead

What makes me mad with Minelab coils is I have to buy their coils with each detector even when I know it will remain unused, as my choice of detecting does not favour the most general ML size coil. Most of the committed prospectors over the "Minelab era" that I have known had to pay for a ML coil that they did not want and the resale of them is very low as most customers have one also sitting unused. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, geof_junk said:

What makes me mad with Minelab coils is I have to buy their coils with each detector even when I know it will remain unused, as my choice of detecting does not favour the most general ML size coil. Most of the committed prospectors over the "Minelab era" that I have known had to pay for a ML coil that they did not want and the resale of them is very low as most customers have one also sitting unused. 

Too true, I don't ever use my GPZ Minelab coils, both my 19" and 14" coils are basically new just used them to test if I wanted to use them, My GPX 4500/5000 Minelab coils are still basically brand new and as found out quickly I didn't want to use them ?  My 6000 coils are now closet queens, except the DD as I need it for it's EMI handling sometimes, If I had an option to buy my detectors with no coils I'd certainly do it.

• Like 2