Detecting In Really Cold Weather

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Something to keep in mind, electronics have operating temperature ranges, and may not work well outside of the range, even possibly causing damage mostly to the battery or even possibly the screen.

For the Manticore for example.  Operating Temperature Range –10°C to +40°C (+14°F to +104°F), check your detector manual for the range suitable for it but they'll all be pretty similar, especially if running the same battery.

I cracked a Gold Monster coil using it in subzero temperatures, I think the coil plastic was more brittle and when it bumped a rock it cracked.

Your snow idea sounds reasonable to me, when they clear the ski area carparks where everyone jumps out of their car and gets their gear out has proven good for me, they pile the snow up at the edges of the car parks, all sorts of finds in that snow from phones to wallets.

Back in the day, I tried to use my White's V3i when it was just above freezing and the LCD screen turned into jibberish. Not recommended.

On 1/8/2022 at 10:05 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

And the greasy smoke in an inky cloak went streaking down the sky.

Poor Sam McGee from Tennessee the huskies did know “deep fried” when they smelt it.

16 hours ago, CoinShooter said:

In the winter, the traffic is down because the salmon aren't in. This makes for nearly vacant parking lots 🙂

Back in the late 1930’s my father was employed on Kodiak. During his stay he found himself on the deck of a barge spooling a communication cable up Cook Inlet towards Anchorage. According to his story the temperatures were so extreme that 15 minutes of deck exposure was 10 minutes too long. Two of the crew were locals that had a lode claim somewhere up the inlet, I believe it was in the Chugach. They convinced him to accompany them on a hike up into the claim. He would often described the free gold he saw in the quartz they had him carry out.  After that he was hooked. 

What a neat story. For sure, there's a lot of history around here. Unfortunately many of it isn't documented, only memories that have been passed down like what you shared with us.

Right now, I'd love to be able to detect on the banks of a stream looking for some quartz filled gold. However, everything is frozen. LOL

Waiting for springtime to arrive.

Thanks for the cool story about your father.

John