Bullets And The Brass Ring

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Sounds like you had a good time.  Camaraderie can add to the enjoyment of finding good stuff.

When you find a relic, how could you distinguish if it was planted or authentically positioned?

It was fun. 🙂 Put in about 6+ miles of walking, dug some targets just to get a break.

The seeded bullets were painted white, the ones with red dirt were real. I might have found an older seeded bullet, the Williams Cleaner. It wasn't so white. They've been doing this for 3 years now.

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

The seeded bullets were painted white,...

That's surprising given that, in many soils (maybe not Culpeper, though), lead will turn white (oxidizes?) with time.  It may be easy to distinguish that patina from paint.  Still, with all the colors in the pallete, why not choose an unambiguous one?

I'm not much for seeded hunts, in case you can't tell.  😁  But I realize a lot of people are, and from the promoter's viewpoint it might make the difference between profit and loss.

You and other attendees had a good time.  That's what matters.

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm not much for seeded hunts, in case you can't tell.  😁

I'm not much for them either, but the place does have some surprises of its own, being there since the early 1700s. A woman with a GPX got an incredible 1 Reale coin. It was not seeded.279714177_5734862783196915_3355750475021718307_n.jpg.f804b27246137e06b1f58bbad8397b37.jpg

The odds of finding that with 70 other detectors are slim, and she said it was about 8" deep. 🙂

That's a hard working hand. She was only about 5'3" and in great shape. Tough woman!

They probably shouldn't  use red paint either... 😀