Hard Rock Tailings Vs Placer Tailings

Yep, it's all about choices John, for sure.

And our coil choices are definitely the most advantageous accessory we can use.

Thanks for the astute answers by all respondents. These answers cover a lot of info and I know I will use this advice in the future.
John, ditto on using pesky hot rocks to GB to as a last resort. Coil control is important, with the TDI you can many times eliminate GB ON by using good coil control.
Chuck, I believe both those locales are placer tailings. Regrettably I never went to either place.
Tortuga, you are killing me. Everyone that hunts in the desert has great luck on old drywash piles-except me!
Steve, thanks so much for the great tip on sulfides masking gold on hard rock tailings. I did not know that but now I will watch for that occurence.
Glenn, agreed that each pile is a new situation maybe different from the last and no one detector covers the myriad of detecting possibilities. Recently I hunted a pile where the gold is so small if you dont have a GBII or Gold Racer you may as well go home. SDC 2300 or mid-khz VLF just will not cut it.
Argyle, I could copy and paste your reply and use it as my own (with permission of course).
It seems we can use broad generalities in reference to working All types of tailings and the machines that may be used to advantage. But we need to be aware that situations will occur where we must use free thinking and local knowledge to arrive at the best course of action for each individual scenario.