Amazed At How Quickly White’s Discussion Faded

Thanks Carl,

That's good enough for me! 👍I'm very happy to hear that those were good years for you! I appreciate the response!

I had a big gap in my detecting years; 83-2014, and wish I had continued through them!😔 So probably why I've gone backwards on a "few"🙄 detectors from a couple companies to fill in some gaps, etc! I really enjoy them!🍀👍👍

• Like 2

On 5/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, cudamark said:

I started detecting 53 years ago and was a big White's fan for many many years. That said, your statement that the 5000 (or 5900 or 6000di Pro for that matter) can "run any day with today's detectors" is only true if the targets are relatively shallow, the ground mild, and we're not talking wet salt water sand or ocean. Like the analogy of the '64 Mustang compared with today's vehicles.....sure the Mustang will get you the looks, and it may be fun to drive....at least in fair weather, and nobody stops suddenly in front of you, and you don't have to make emergency turns, and you don't mind the less reliability and extra maintenance, and you don't mind the poorer gas mileage, and the lesser performance, etc. Does that make the '64 Mustang a better overall car than a 2023 Mustang? Not hardly....in any area you wish to choose....except maybe looks! 😁 Would I still drive the '64? Sure, for fun, not as a daily driver or a trip where I wanted reliability, safety, and comfort. 

I had the opportunity to detect with some friends and a new person to our group yesterday.

We had a Deus 2 9” coil, Equinox 900, Equinox 800 both with 11” coils, Garrett AT Pro 11” coil and a Whites IDX with 950 Blue Max coil. All experienced users.

I found what I presumed to be a 7 to 8” deep US copper penny/clad dime/silver dime signal that was giving really solid audio and since I had the new 900 that Minelab America sent me, the target ID was a little better and was only 80 to 98 instead of 68 to 98 that my first 900 was likely to have shown. I was in Park 1 multi with sens on 22 of 28. The Nox 800 my friend was using was in Park 2 multi with sens on 20 of 25 and had a solid hit with target ID 25 to 30. Deus 2 read 4 to 5 bars out of 10 of iron mineralization. It was in Sensitive with sens on 90, had solid audio on the target and ID was 88 to 93. AT Pro was in Pro Zero with sens on 7 of 8. It had very broken up iron audio and no ID. The Whites IDX had sens just past the preset, disc on Rings and gave no response on the target which turned out to be a 7” US clad dime.

Just one instance on one target, but it bears out what cudamark stated and has also been proven for me anyway using the many detectors that I have owned. Sometimes, newer really is better depending on the situation. Having one detector that can hit many different size targets at different depths in different soil and beach conditions can be better than having to use a different detector for each different situation.

• Like 4

On 5/3/2023 at 9:38 PM, Geotech said:

Jim, I guess you could say it was price, as the owners considered the company worth way more than it actually was. In the end, the owners (& dependents) didn't want to give up the cash cow.

Joe, I'll not rehash old history, other than to say in all my 50 years of work experience, the 6 years at White's has been my favorite. I wish things had turned out differently. I have no idea why Garrett bought White's, but I suspect we've seen the last of White's tech from Garrett.

As far as the Garrett purchase, a less than speculative answer might be to have kept the name out of Chinese or India counterfeiter hands. Fact is those people were already making near perfect copies in low cost facilities. All they needed was the rights to the name to be able to legitimately sell those copies in the U.S. market. Instant capability to ship with just a few decals changed. Making the buy basically eliminated a potential low cost competitor for Garrett, armed with a big name. Because otherwise as you and I know well, despite what many seem to think, the company had little of value.

People should thank Garrett for at least making sure we are not looking at dirt cheap “White’s” detectors made overseas.

IMG_4494.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I found what I presumed to be a 7 to 8” deep US copper penny/clad dime/silver dime signal that was giving really solid audio and since I had the new 900 that Minelab America sent me, the target ID was a little better and was only 80 to 98 instead of 68 to 98 that my first 900 was likely to have shown. I was in Park 1 multi with sens on 22 of 28. The Nox 800 my friend was using was in Park 2 multi with sens on 20 of 25 and had a solid hit with target ID 25 to 30.

So the Deus 2 did well, the Nox 800 had an ID spread of 5 digits, the Nox 900 had an ID spread of 18.... to me the 900 did terrible and I'd want to wrap it around a tree, a 10 ID spread would be more what you would expect with a larger ID range wouldn't it?  I'm not sure how big the ID range on the 900 is, I think it has more than the Manticore.  I haven't paid much attention to the 900 as I don't want one. 

I've gone from getting direct hits on coins with 1-3 ID spread on my Nox 800 to now having 10 to 15 ID spread on the Manticore almost always up-averaging too.   It's no cherry picker 🙂

I might have been better off with the Deus 2 for someone that likes Target ID's, at the moment I've gone back to using the Nox and CTX for coins as the Manticore has me digging too many holes in places I don't want to dig holes as I want to keep access and digging too much isn't the best way to do that.

The Manticore can be my beach machine, It's likely awesome there where you don't care about holes!  Hopefully with the small coil it makes for a good nugget machine too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

The Manticore can be my beach machine, It's likely awesome there where you don't care about holes! 

Leaving holes at our beaches is frowned upon! Even though kids and others do it all the time! Of course we get singled out and blamed, just like at parks; not that there aren't detectorists leaving some also!

That stupid "big deep hole" Tic Tok challenge is still around with the teenagers, and I've found myself filling in a few of those, so that no little kids get suffocated in one! Asinine! Not easy to do with a scoop and feet, when they bring multiple full sized shovels with them for the beach assault! Of course i detect the holes thoroughly first!

Those haven't been this bad though:

20230506_154938.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🙂 I meant more about holes are easier and once you fill 'em back in you don't leave damage behind, not like a nicely mowed lawn where it's harder to leave it exactly how you found it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, phrunt said:
16 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I meant more about holes are easier and once you fill 'em back in you don't leave damage behind, not like a nicely mowed lawn where it's harder to leave it exactly how you found it!

😂Sorry Simon, wasn't throwing you under a bus, just more of a service announcement, and what I've run across!

But... I heard the Manticore is reeeaaallly deep, so.... is that one of your holes???  Was it photoshopped and edited to look like the states? and I think they changed the head on the guy too!!

Now that I think about it, my White's will go that deep too...🤔🤣👍👍

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I for one still use my V3i as my main detector. I also have an AT-Pro, but I only use it as a backup right now. 

One thing I can actually say I like about this forum. Whenever you ask a question, someone is willing to provide you with an answer. Not like when I used to belong to the White's forums. You see, the V3i users seem to be a fickle bunch of users. Now don't get me wrong. Whenever I would ask a question about my V3i on the White's forums, I would always receive an answer, but it was something to the effect of, "You just need to put the time in and learn the detector like I did. There are no shortcuts."

When all I might be asking was for a little assistance in pointing me in the right direction. And, if you ever asked for assistance in possibly creating a program or adjusting certain settings, you were immediately shunned like you had the plague or something. 

Just my two cents worth. 

• Like 3

Spent the last week on AHRPS, Went to Monte's posts, Selected to read ALL his posts, Still reading them.  Always liked his input to the hobby.  That and he seemed to be "White's" all the way.  Having said that I left the forums for years I really have got way behind.  That and I'm coming up on 69 years old. 

I had been using a couple XL Pros for 20 years, figured that was going to be my last detector. I had been looking at the MXT line and, Well I went for it.  The XL Pro was always taken care of.  I ended up putting it up for sale so I could afford other coils for the MXT All Pro.  Didn't take long for someone to grab up the XL Pro, They still go for high prices. 

Well i have no regrets with the MXT AP, Intend to keep it till I can no longer detect.  Well around a month ago I seen the MX Sport on ebay, the price wasn't bad so right at the last minute I bid on it and ended up getting it, THEN came back to the forums to read up on it. Well I'm stubborn and intend on making it work for me. I haven't got much time on it, I use the Garrett Z-Lynk and a Z-Lynk adapter and Pin pointer, My hearing is bad and it works for me. 

You'd think I'd stop looking at ebay, couple days ago a IDX Pro came up, 2 coils,  Very clean, price also low, AH, Ya last minute I threw a bid, Ah Man, Ya I got it, Waiting on UPS early next week. What am I going to do with three detectors? 

Other than the MX Sport I had bought "Proven" White's detectors, Some just rise to the known great status. Back in 2001 I had the IDX Pro, liked it tested it along side my XL Pro, It did great, Left that detector with my then girlfriend. Have always seen it as a good all-around detector. (Monte's favorite for YEARS) 

You all seemed to have made the jump to the VAST markets of Digital detectors, Reading on AHRPS I seen some come, some go, Monte will/did put them thru their paces and told it like it was. For the life of me how someone today, new to the hobby can figure out what to buy is beyond me. 

Marketing.... Garrett and YouTube made a killing. I didn't know till recently that the AT line wasn't the so called top of the line, But I'm sure they had the market share for some time. For someone new to the hobby all the "Settings" of detectors has to be very confusing, Which brings me back to "Marketing" Including YouTube, Facebook,Forums.  Monte also addressed this.  I guess the younger generation really goes for technical and digital.  Each week something new, New and approved. I think some of us older folks decide to stick with what works and make the best of it.

Man the ground here in WV is like cement, I guess being I have a water machine I better learn to walk on water... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KD8GIS said:

You all seemed to have made the jump to the VAST markets of Digital detectors, Reading on AHRPS I seen some come, some go, Monte will/did put them thru their paces and told it like it was. For the life of me how someone today, new to the hobby can figure out what to buy is beyond me. 

You have made the jump to digital detectors too!  The MX Sport is based on the MX5 which was White's "digital" successor to the MXT.

I am still a big fan of the MX5. Everytime I see one listed on eBay or one of the forums for a ridiculous price I am tempted but, been there and definitely done that. Moving on.

• Thanks 1