Manticores Arriving?

PSPR

I'll buy a Nox 900 when my Nox 800 dies, no rush on that one as I really see no point in owning it when I'll have the Manticore and already have the Nox 800.  All I'll ever use the Nox 800 for now is prospecting if the Manticore isn't as good and if it as good the Nox is being put in the cupboard so I certainly wouldn't have a use for the Nox 900.

The Manticore is likely my last VLF for a very long time, just like the GPX 6000 was my last high end Minelab gold machine, I'm pretty much done with new detectors unless one I use dies or there is a dramatic change in performance with a new model.     The thing that might change my mind is a new CTX coming out.  I can't imagine I'll buy a new GPZ unless something big happens and extremely unlikely I'd ever buy a new GPX, far more likely to buy an Axiom with it's aftermarket coils coming.

Time to settle in on the ones I like and just focus on learning and using them.   At this stage I think I'm settling on the GPZ, Nox 800 (hopefully replacing the Nox with the Manticore), GPX 5000 and Garrett 24k for my Gold prospecting machines, Manticore, GPX 5000 and CTX for my general purpose machines and then I'm in my happy place.   I'm glad I gave a Deus a go but I really don't like it, it just doesn't suit me. 

I doubt I'll get a Manticore now until mid January at the earliest, I'm over caring about that, Minelab are losing me as a future customer though.  They need new management.

6 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

I saw a Manticore on the big auction site yesterday.  Surprisingly, it only had 1 bid and was no higher than the original MAP but I imagine the "gotta have it now" folks will run it up once they find it.  

It's up to $2,616 now with 3 days 5 hours left.

1 hour ago, longbow62 said:

It's up to $2,616 now with 3 days 5 hours left.

Really!And what was that catchy phrase again, that P.T.Barnum made famous?

6 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

Really!And what was that catchy phrase again, that P.T.Barnum made famous?

Better yet Thomas Tusser.

26 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

Wow!  I guess the people found it.  If I were to snag one early, I'd be tempted to list it now.  Strike while the iron is hot. Mine the miners. Haha.

No doubt man. Jeez. 

4 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'll buy a Nox 900 when my Nox 800 dies, no rush on that one as I really see no point in owning it when I'll have the Manticore and already have the Nox 800.  All I'll ever use the Nox 800 for now is prospecting if the Manticore isn't as good and if it as good the Nox is being put in the cupboard so I certainly wouldn't have a use for the Nox 900.

The Manticore is likely my last VLF for a very long time, just like the GPX 6000 was my last high end Minelab gold machine, I'm pretty much done with new detectors unless one I use dies or there is a dramatic change in performance with a new model.     The thing that might change my mind is a new CTX coming out.  I can't imagine I'll buy a new GPZ unless something big happens and extremely unlikely I'd ever buy a new GPX, far more likely to buy an Axiom with it's aftermarket coils coming.

Time to settle in on the ones I like and just focus on learning and using them.   At this stage I think I'm settling on the GPZ, Nox 800 (hopefully replacing the Nox with the Manticore), GPX 5000 and Garrett 24k for my Gold prospecting machines, Manticore, GPX 5000 and CTX for my general purpose machines and then I'm in my happy place.   I'm glad I gave a Deus a go but I really don't like it, it just doesn't suit me. 

I doubt I'll get a Manticore now until mid January at the earliest, I'm over caring about that, Minelab are losing me as a future customer though.  They need new management.

It really is getting to the point of being ridiculous with the amount of new metal detectors available on the market in the last few years. The Nox 800 is an excellent machine, it has a few build issues but the performance is right up there with the best. I've paid my 800 off many times over with the stuff I've found with it. Really is no reason to replace it other than the warranty is up and that's why I will probably end up with the 900 shorty and eventually a Manticore which will probably be my last VLF purchase for a very long time as well. I thought about getting the Axiom but after giving it some real thought it's like why? I have the 6000, it does what I want for now, why get another expensive PI?

I agree, time to learn what I've already got and get rid of the ones I can do without. I mean really if you have a Manticore do you need a Legend, Equinox 600, Equinox 800, Deus 2, etc.? Probably not unless you like setting up things laid out on boxes or your concrete pad in your back yard to see how this or that sounds like next to that or this with that detector and this detector and you get the point. I wish people would just show the basics of how a particular metal detector does on separation test, depth test, features of the detector and then do some live hunts and show what targets in the ground sound like. Maybe take the competitors detector or another model along and show what it sounds like on the same target. But the endless testing of stuff laid out in a back yard gets old real fast for me.

5 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Yes and the seller will also have the "privilege" of paying Uncle Sam taxes on his sale.   For 2022 tax season eBay will 1099 any sale over $600, and for the 2023 tax season eBay will 1099 cumulative sales over $600.

I've been selling on Ebay since 1996, so I'll do the math.  I'm thinking $3000 would be top dollar-keep in mind this is listed as an "open box" item. I'm not sure why he opened it if he was gonna sell it, but it will hurt the value somewhat.

The thing to watch will be if it's the only one on Ebay by the time it ends. If there's 1 or 2 more by Sunday he might not even get that much. Even the $2616 isn't a sure thing. Non-payers are very common on Ebay and I believe auction winners have a minimum of 2 days to pay nowdays. Manticores could suddenly get more plentiful by next Tuesday. Heck, Santa might even hijack one of PSPR's container ships and start dropping early presents down chimneys left and right. We can hope.

Let's say he lucks out and it goes for $3000 and Mr. Gotta Havit actually pays up. Ebay fees will be about $312, and his "free shipping" will run about $25 for UPS. If he paid the full $1599 for it, and the tax man gets 25% (15% self-employment + income tax) on the profit, then $267.27 goes to those thieves in DC. He may or may not owe state taxes depending on what state he lives in. Best case scenario leaves him with a profit margin of about $800 on a $3000 auction. 

If mine suddenly showed up on the doorstep tomorrow Miss Ebay might think about it for about 15 seconds, but I'm sure Ms Detectorist would not be able to resist tearing into that box and leaving a scorching trail of burnt rubber on the road between my house and the beach. 😁