Manticore In Iron (nail Beds)

strick

32 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I can't say for sure, but it seemed the Equinox 800 had trouble with coins-on-edge.

The EQX800 has been good at sniffing out old silver on edge for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

That's a lot of non-ferrous.  What are the shotgun shell butts reading? 

The 20 ga caps were reading high 20's low 30's the 12 ga low mid 40's I'm finding the Manticore likes to call a lot of mid conductors 25-29 (modern nickel range) I air tested a buffalo I had handy the other day and I think it was a below 25 but cant remember exactly. 

I can say with certainty that the M-core hits those flat brass rivets better then the Nox 800 did. They will sound like a dime if they are perfectly flat.  I was sniping them in between nails and very pleased with the depth. If there were any silver coins there and I did not expect there to be They were either too deep or I did not get the coil over it. 

strick 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

This is a good test site for you as you know it well from years of detecting it.  Almost as if it's a controlled environment, great to test new machines, you know the ground, EMI, iron, etc.  I have some sites like that, well beaten, you know there's more there, will a different detector take it to the next level?

The next level would be one or two silver coins maybe hidden in the nails or at depth...unlikely but maybe a gold coin could be there so I'll keep going. It's a tough hunt but there are still lots of mid conductors in areas to be sniffed out. ...some of the bigger stuff came from the old house up front including the long handled spoon. Still have some time left I found out. 

strick

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, strick said:

...The 12 ga low mid 40's I'm finding the Manticore likes to call a lot of mid conductors 25-29 (modern nickel range) I air tested a buffalo I had handy the other day and I think it was a below 25 but cant remember exactly.

It sounds to me as though you have chances to find USA nickels, if people were failing to dig those shotgun shell butts.  Maybe some Shield as well as Liberty (V-).  1885 and 1886 -- could be there....  On the Equinox I think some of those shell casing were hitting a bit higher than USA nickels, but in my case that is where some small silver and gold coins show up on the Eqx as well as the 'fatty' Flying Eagle and earliest Indian Head cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

It sounds to me as though you have chances to find USA nickels, if people were failing to dig those shotgun shell butts.  Maybe some Shield as well as Liberty (V-).  1885 and 1886 -- could be there....  

Yep I'll keep trying...hoping for a 1 dollar gold coin. Any round solid disk as big as nickel is most likely gone but a dude from Santa Rosa pulled  V Nickel out with his CTX while I was there one day couple years ago. It looked like crap as most V nickels do out here.... It's a place to go 15 min from my house. I may put the big coil back on the nox and go for  walk about looking for a needle in a haystack again...

strick 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, PSPR said:

Hey, strick, it seems you got an entire calabash video devoted to your question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJenan74FSA

Well I was trying to bring up an important point... He was comparing the Deus 2 to the Manticore and showing how the Deus could hit a gold coin between two nails but the Manticore would not....UNTIL he made adjustments to the machine...then it hit the gold coin easily...He was saying that the settings he was using on the Manticore in that test were unusable out in the field because of iron falsing I simply asked the question why is not iron falsing in your test then when the nails out of the ground? It's an interesting topic about VLF machines...He said he did not know...I replied back my answer to him as to what I thought...but it's just what little I know and don't  know on the subject. 

I know it's Christmas and Steve wants us all sitting around the fire with our family 🙂 but the wife the dog and I already opened out gifts and were waiting for my Son and his wife to show up now...your think I'd have better things to do lol. 

strick 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, strick said:

I know it's Christmas and Steve wants us all sitting around the fire with our family 🙂 but the wife the dog and I already opened out gifts and were waiting for my Son and his wife to show up now...your think I'd have better things to do lol. 

strick 

The in-ground falsing does sound like a problem but I can't test the various solutions without a Manticore.  I'm don't think there are iron loaded sites I've visited around here that would be a problem anyway.  I've read that NASA-Tom is already testing an advanced version of the Manticore software so there could already be fix to mitigate much of it anyway.

Sounds like a normal Christmas to me.  We did the same in the morning after breakfast.  The dog made out like a bandit!!  Then watched all our planned Christmas movies and now I'm on to Alien (ET) documentaries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strick said:

...I simply asked the question why is not iron falsing in your test then when the nails out of the ground?

Can't it really only be 2 things, or likely a combination of both? Depth (all VLF discrim loses accuracy with depth doesn't it?), and ground mineralization?

Depth is easy enough for him to test. Just do the same test he already did except raise the coil up in 1-2" increments at a time to see if it eventually causes falsing alone.

If it doesn't, then it's probably ground mineralization either alone, or in combination with depth. Iron, unlike gold - makes a pretty clear and visible halo (this just iron leaching) since iron readily oxidizes. If it's just ground+depth, a rebury test would tell that. If it's something to do with the halo, then ground+depth tests won't necessarily show it and it'd be harder to test, but you can accelerate oxidation/leeching via chemicals and maybe electricity, and make a buried nail have an in situ halo for testing purposes, like in an acrylic box so you can see it and prove it's there.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, PSPR said:

The in-ground falsing does sound like a problem but I can't test the various solutions without a Manticore.  I'm don't think there are iron loaded sites I've visited around here that would be a problem anyway.  I've read that NASA-Tom is already testing an advanced version of the Manticore software so there could already be fix to mitigate much of it anyway.

Sounds like a normal Christmas to me.  We did the same in the morning after breakfast.  The dog made out like a bandit!!  Then watched all our planned Christmas movies and now I'm on to Alien (ET) documentaries.

I recall Tom saying his version was '59' at one point. I believe the shipped version is '50'. I don't believe he has easy access to the proper sites for 'bed of nail' testing, maybe other 'testers' are running newer versions of the software also... I have a site with a lot of small gauge rusty wire bits everywhere that I'll try out in March/April when we thaw out here....