Manticore In Iron (nail Beds)

strick

I'll hit heavy irons with mine shortly after it arrives.  I just wish the M8 coil was arriving at the same time.  And wish I knew how long it will be for the other coils to surface.  I'll get them both, but I really, really want that smaller 5.5x8.

Given I'll be stuck with the 11" for likely a good while on the MC, my 800 with the 6" is coming along too...

- Dave

In a video that was recently posted about comparing in the ground signals between the D2 and Manti, Jimmy was given the suggestion to lower the sensitivity to stop the iron falsing. He reduced it 50% but the Manti still showed silver on 4 iron targets that the D2 correctly showed as iron. According to the D2 guy (Carson?), the site doesn't even have much ferrous trash.

I don't think it's a big deal though. All detectors have bugs that need to be worked out. I'm sure Minelab will soon release an update to address this issue.

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

y (Carson?)

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

guy (Carson

Carter.

Forget CD video on nails, have a look at Brass Medic's latest video. I think it is very good and targets are investigated as most of us like to investigate them. Being a long term nox user the Iron seems pretty clear to me as being iron.

1 hour ago, Chesroy said:

Being a long term nox user the Iron seems pretty clear to me as being iron.

Yes totally, I think its being played out to get more views. Brass Medic's video I found very professional and he certainly knows what he is doing.

2 hours ago, Chesroy said:

...Have a look at Brass Medic's latest video.

Please post a link.

Great video in terms of production quality and content.

I am amused by comments above like the nail issue being "played out" for views (other you tubers) and that the iron seems "pretty clear".  Yes there are tells (the delay) just as with all recent detectors, but still pretty subtle even for the experienced detectorist. 

The point CD and even Brass Medic are making (but expressing it in different ways) is that with the bells and whistles features you are paying for (i.e., target trace with upper ferrous limits targeted specifically for nails), you should not have to rely on subtle or not so subtle tells that tell you NOT to believe what the detector is indicating.  Brass Medic himself says that the machine needs an update.  Especially with that last beer can target that could not be differentiated from a coin on target trace (again, you could lift the coil or use pinpoint to get a feel of the target footprint, but that trick can be accomplished with the Nox or D2 or Legend, as well).

So definitely, this should be addressed by ML at some point.  I have no doubt they are working on it, but the question is, can it be addressed?  BTW, I have used the "iron delay" technique with both Equinox and D2 so I am not unfamiliar with using that technique.  It is something that gets integrated with your muscle memory when you've spent enough hours with a detector and is something that is hard to replicate with any visual display.

So far, depth appears to be the main advantage over 900 because target trace and upper ferrous limit filtering still appears to be a work in progress.  Some of the factory mode presets appear useful, in the sense that they can be easily accessed vs. having to custom program into the Nox with its limited single personal search profile slot.  Hopefully, ML can get there on improving high tone falsing on small iron using upper ferrous limits consistent with their original design objectives without having to rely on subtle tells and to address TT shortcomings on large aluminum, but I'll likely lean heavily on audio over TT visual, regardless, if I do ultimately invest in an M-core. 

Bottom line, that means any real advantage of M-core vs. Nox gets basically narrowed down to deep high conductor situations in mild soil and little small ferrous trash.  Sort of the CTX one-trick-pony advantage vs. 900 - a decent advantage for those needing this specific performance advantage - but pretty incremental so, as I've said before, everyone has to decide for themsekves if the extra cost makes sense.  Depth advantage gets lost in hot soil if it's being driven by coil power because that approach simply lights up hot ground.  Hopefully, I can get a fully functional Nox 900 in my hands soon so I can run it through its paces vs. 800 and D2, especially in hot dirt.  I will stick to my plan of not considering the M-core until the small coil is released, and hopefully these issues will be addressed in a timely M-core update or two, by then., if I feel they are worth the extra $$.

Nothing wrong with that, D2 went through very similar growing pains earlier this year, and we're still waiting for that final non-beta SW release from XP.  But D2 has snagged plenty of quality targets in the mean time and I'm sure M-core will too for those who have decided to early adopt.  However, unlike ML with the surprise release of the 900 vs. the M-core release,  no real alternative to D2 is available (other than the lite configurations).  That's what makes 900 a compelling value alternative M-core in its present unfinished state.

Good video, watched it yesterday. But I mean really, if a person has to listen for subtle audio differences and delay. What is the point of having target trace? This may be why there have been so few units released, to see how many people complain about its performance in iron.

If your just going to hunt for silver coins there probably isn't an issue. Because from what I've seen most of the iron targets that are getting painted as good fall in the lower conductor range. So you would set the machine up similar to a CTX or eTrac with disc patterns that target silver.

37 minutes ago, abenson said:

If your just going to hunt for silver coins there probably isn't an issue. Because from what I've seen most of the iron targets that are getting painted as good fall in the lower conductor range.

If I remember correctly, the iron was ID'ing as high silver. Similar to iron wrap around.