Ml Equinox 900 Depth Dp Tone

HardPack

ML Equinox 900: search mode “Park 1” : after setting “Target Tone” to dP. “Tone Pitch” selection is not available for adjustment, “Tone Volume” is factory set to 12/25 both the low/high are adjustable,  “Threshold Level” is set to 0 but is adjustable, “Threshold Pitch” is set to 4 but is adjustable, “Tone Break” is set to T1 at 0 but is adjustable. In the Video it was stated with the Equinox 800 it was demonstrated that “Park 1” had the best detection depth.
So what’s happening here with the Equinox 900?  In Park 1, is the Multi-IQ processing an even lower weighted frequency range in dP that when set to the 5 tone’s lower frequency weighing of the multi-frequency signal?  Is the dP tone setting to allow for detection of deeper more conductive targets such as deep silver? 

5 hours ago, HardPack said:

So what’s happening here with the Equinox 900?  In Park 1, is the Multi-IQ processing an even lower weighted frequency range in dP that when set to the 5 tone’s lower frequency weighing of the multi-frequency signal?  Is the dP tone setting to allow for detection of deeper more conductive targets such as deep silver? 

I did not watch the posted video so I can't comment.

I don't know if frequency weighting has been changed on the Equinox 900. Using 1 tone to full tones shouldn't effect the frequency weighting either.

DP tones on the Equinox 900 are VCO medium to high tone for non-ferrous based on proximity and signal strength and VCO low iron grunt for ferrous. So highly modulated 2 tone audio.

The only thing that comes close to that on the Equinox 800 is the VCO 1 tone highly modulated audio in the gold modes.

From using the Nox 800 gold modes for gold prospecting and relic hunting when compared to the only slightly modulated audio of the other modes, the Gold modes VCO audio was deeper in moderate to high mineralization. Unfortunately it was limited to the Gold modes. So in the ground I hunt in the most, the gold modes are the deepest on coin sized objects not Park 1 but that is due to iron mineralization  

Now with DP tones the Nox 900 isn't limited to just using it in the gold modes and it is now 2 tone for the other modes which is a big plus for those that need a little extra depth and target separation caused by the highly modulated audio that doesn't drop off as quickly on deeper, small, or masked targets. Target conductivity should not matter due to using DP tones other than ferrous/non-ferrous. Frequency weighting will matter for target conductivity. Just my opinions.

2 hours ago, HardPack said:

In the Video it was stated with the Equinox 800 it was demonstrated that “Park 1” had the best detection depth.

I haven't seen the video, either, but if this general statement is what they said then I disagree.  And that's even if you just compare the Park and Field modes (ignoring Gold Mode which Jeff already disagreed with).

Now, if you mean going with default settings, IDK.  But Park 1 and Field 1 use the same (I think) frequency mix.  Park 2 and Field 2 also share a common frequncy mix, but higher than Park 1 & Field 1.  That is why the manual says use the Park 2/Field 2 modes for smaller items (e.g. tiny gold jewelry) and Park 1/Field 1 for moderate sized targets such as most modern coins.

In other words, by matching all setting values in Park 1 and Park 2 one will prioritize depth on small and low conductors in the Park 2 mode and prioritize depth for moderate size and high conductors in Park 1.  (Same can be said for Field 1 vs. Field 2.)

Default recovery speed settings are not the same among the various modes and submodes.  Faster recovery speeds lead to less depth for a given target, at least in the coin and jewelry realm.  I don't know about largish relics.  So if they are talking about default settings in each mode, then I can't say.  (I never use default modes.)

Note I'm only referring to the Equinox 800 model.  I haven't read the 900 manual nor have I ever swung one.  And ground mineralization possibly affects things, although the manual doesn't discuss mineralization affecting relative depth between the 1 vs 2 modes of Park & Field, that I remember anyway.

Finally, regarding Park/Field modes vs. Gold modes on the Equinox, I also found (as Jeff did) that the Gold modes went deeper in my moderately mineralized ground for coins (USA 1 cent and 5 cent specifically).  If memory serves me, Steve H. did say that if a person were hunting for small gold nuggets with the 600 model that he should use Field 2 multifrequency since there are no gold modes on the 600 nor can you select 20 kHz or 40 kHz single frequency as you can with the 800.  I don't remember him saying that a person with an 800 is just as well off in Field 2 as in the gold modes.  But obviously he's in much better position to confirm/refute what I just said regarding his reporting.

The ground here runs from moderate to hot, I prefer a VLF when possible.  I can step up recovery speed on the EQ 900 when I hit iron trash. What would be a good recovery speed setting in field 2 ( or prospecting modes) on target poor sites?  (I’d quote you two but can’t remember how.)

29 minutes ago, HardPack said:

The ground here runs from moderate to hot, I prefer a VLF when possible.  I can step up recovery speed on the EQ 900 when I hit iron trash. What would be a good recovery speed setting in field 2 ( or prospecting modes) on target poor sites?

I assume you meant this question for @Jeff McClendon.  He'll notice it more easily with his name called out (or his post quoted).  You can highlight text and get a popup query to quote a selected part of a post.  There's also a +Quote button at the bottom of a post which quotes the entire thing.  (And you can still delete parts of that before submitting your finished reply, if you so desire.)

1 hour ago, HardPack said:

The ground here runs from moderate to hot, I prefer a VLF when possible.  I can step up recovery speed on the EQ 900 when I hit iron trash. What would be a good recovery speed setting in field 2 ( or prospecting modes) on target poor sites?  (I’d quote you two but can’t remember how.)

No clue. I haven't even used Field 2 on a hunt yet much less in iron trash. If I happened to do that however I would first setup the discrimination pattern to accept most if not all iron target IDs and put the tones on DP to take advantage of those VCO tones. Then I would fit the recovery speed to the site. Same for iron bias and sensitivity after doing a ground balance.

Using the EQ 900 as a tool in order to familiarize myself with a new site and to locate camps, tent sites, workings, coins, etc this is the basic setup I may initially use while scouting an area then adjust, change search modes and detectors as required.  

EQ 900/Base setup: Field 2: multi frequency, auto ground balance, tone volume 10/25, threshold levels 1* (enable blanking), tone pitch 4 +-, target tone dP, accept/reject x-19 to 0; 1 to 99, tone break 0, recovery speed 3+, iron bias 0+.

*A threshold level setting to allow “blanking” for switching to “all metal” for further target/site investigation. 

On 12/29/2022 at 8:15 AM, HardPack said:

You may want to enable CC.

Scottish, of course 🙂  Reminds me of a funny lunch experience visiting the Teotihuacan Pyramids.