Killer Bees

News article from Phoenix yesterday has it that a 20 yr old tourist hiker got killed by a swarm of bees in a desert park.  Bees were all over the guy when the fireman tried to drag him away and the swarm continued to chase the rescuers.  This past winter I was out with Beatup and he chose to abandon a promising target because he heard then saw a bee hive in a rock crevice here in Yuma.  Grim business, you just never know. 

Appreciate the information.  Will give them a wide path except for Killer bee headphones which I really like.  

On 5/27/2016 at 2:08 PM, beatup said:

Steve, did you ever go back to that spot or are you going to leave it for me to try again next winter.

Hey Brett,

I haven't been back there.  I'd need someone who runs a lot slower than me to tag along just in case.  I'll leave it for you next winter.  Dennis did find an 11 gram chunk downstream from that spot.  The nugget was tucked into the bedrock back in the sidewall of the wash where it turns to red dirt.  Maybe we get a good monsoon season before you get here. 

The average person can out run Africanized bees and studies have shown them to typically break-off the attack after about 100 yards. Each person needs to ask themselves; "If attacked, can I sprint all out this distance?"

My neighbor last year had a swarm of Africanized bees attempting to make a hive in his yard  shed. He took one of those Black Flag "flea bombs" and pitched it in there .......done.  Also a mixture of soapy water sprayed into the air will knock em down and kill them. 

I had some get after me this winter.  There was no more than a dozen bees drinking water at the edge of a small natural pool.  They were not flying or swarming at all and I tried to step past them to get up a slickrock slide area.  Maybe I stepped on one by accident and he yelled for help because they started lifting off the waterhole and hitting the backs of my legs.  Before I could get away from them I got stung 3 or 4 times on the calves.  I was wearing shorts naturally.  I suffer my share of allergies, but the bees don't seem to bother me.