Deus 2 Short Curb Strip Hunt Gold

I had a couple of hours to detect today after another mini blizzard. I decided to stay close to home and hunt next to a curb at a local park that I have hunted with Deus 1 and the Equinox 800 in the past. The area I was hunting is absolutely loaded with aluminum trash and steel crown bottle caps with various states of rust unless they are recent drops. Very iron mineralized ground on top of the thousands of trash targets.

Knowing this in advance I was thankful that I have the Deus 2 (and the Legend and Equinox 900) which do not have half of the regularly found aluminum pull tabs ID's landing right on top of the most common gold ring target IDs and the US nickel target IDs (Equinox 600/800/Vanquish models) both of which I really enjoy digging.

In the past I have tried Deus 1 at places like this and quickly became super frustrated with all of the silver target ID range responses that could easily be US copper pennies, clad dimes clad quarters, silver coins and silver jewelry but instead were lowly pull tabs and bits of aluminum along with steel crown bottle caps that were showing up in the upper 80s to upper 90s target ID range due to severe up averaging if they were deeper than 3" or so in this iron rich dirt.

Deus 2 using its multi modes based on the Fast program simply does not do that to all of that aluminum and steel trash unless it is right at the edge of detection in the dirt around here, so I had no hesitation picking it for detecting this super trashed area.

I was using a saved program based on Sensitive, with 5 tones Square Wave audio, disc on 10, iron audio ON, reactivity 2, Silencer 1, bottle cap reject 1 and sensitivity on 95. Deus 2 was a bit jittery but consistent which is how I like it. The US nickel medium pitched tone was set up to sound on target IDs between 59 and 63. The highest tone for clad dimes and up was set 90 to 99.

So, I concentrated on the gold and silver range of target IDs specifically any good sounding target with a consistent ID of 59 to 63 and any target with a consistent target ID of 90 and above and was basically cherry picking for US nickels/medium sized gold rings and US coins above zinc pennies with any silver thrown in.

The 1.9 gram 10K ring had a target ID of 62/63 just like the nickels and square tabs in the photo. These targets were in the 3 to 6" depth range.

There has been a lot of chatter about using single frequencies for detecting and how they are just "better" especially in reference to the new Minelab X-Terra Pro. I deliberately checked the target IDs of each of the low to mid conductor targets in the bottom half of the paper plate photo before digging them. I used default Deus 2 Mono set on 17 kHz. All of those targets which are normally 59 to 66 had target IDs above 85................. I'm very happy to use Deus 2 FMF simultaneous multi frequency tech, that's for sure since I can at least call the non-ferrous conductivity of targets before I dig them for the most part.

Thanks for reading.

DSCN0487.jpeg

Nice hunt and a great find on the ring.

Good luck on your next outing, stay safe out there.

Nice hunt, Jeff. 👍 I think if I had curb strips anywhere it would be fun to hunt them. That's everything you dug? I too really appreciate the D2's tight discernment of targets, it's quite reliable, and your head gets to do the discrimination.

Cool that nearly all the pull tabs were identical in shape, and that you did a "real world" test of SMF vs. SF.

It all has a nice ring to it 😏 Congrats and thanks.

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt, Jeff. 👍 I think if I had curb strips anywhere it would be fun to hunt them. That's everything you dug? I too really appreciate the D2's tight discernment of targets, it's quite reliable, and your head gets to do the discrimination.

Cool that nearly all the pull tabs were identical in shape, and that you did a "real world" test of SMF vs. SF.

It all has a nice ring to it 😏 Congrats and thanks.

Deus 2, Equinox 900 and the Legend all have "tight discernment" of targets from my experience until targets start to be deep enough to be at the edge of detection. That really helps me when I am deciding how to hunt a modern aluminum and steel alloy trashed area. Some places I hunt have more spread out targets so I can dig everything that sounds good or has consistent enough numbers to get my attention. At other places like the curb area I hunted in the write-up, there is absolutely no way to dig even a tenth of the targets since there are just way too many. It's like hunting a carpet of rusty nails infested site except that the carpet of targets are nearly all non-ferrous.

Those targets on the plate are the only ones I dug except for two aluminum screw caps that had US quarter target ID numbers that got tossed out with a dozen or so steel crown bottle caps that were on the surface. I really stuck to my plan of just digging the good sounding nickel and silver range targets. I wasn't notching anything and I will definitely go back to that spot and concentrate on other likely aluminum/gold target IDs in the 50s and 70s on another day since I heard a ton of them.

The area I hunted was about 30 feet long and 10 feet wide and the amount of targets in that tiny area that Deus 2 audibly detected is ridiculous.

Great hunt, Jeff,and congrats on the gold ring! Well Done! 😎

I saw in another post that curb strips were loaded with coins with very little trash, but in my city curb strips, I find the opposite, specially downtown or near parks. Curb strips here are basically where everybody dumps the trash out of their cars and even the hobos dump zincolns there. 🙄

Good work Jeff...Those broken pull tabs I'm always hopeful that it's a possible gold ring... On the pull tabs We have all dug out share of them...at one point I was saving just for fun...but that got old quick 😄

strick 

20170717_203619.jpeg

38 minutes ago, strick said:

Good work Jeff...Those broken pull tabs I'm always hopeful that it's a possible gold ring... On the pull tabs We have all dug out share of them...at one point I was saving just for fun...but that got old quick 😄

strick 

20170717_203619.jpeg

I do believe that is the finest collection of ring pulls that I have ever seen Strick.                                           FF0754AE-A890-4ECE-91BD-9F70DFE6EC49_4_5005_c.jpeg.83c4a579252a1e911c495817d5137113.jpeg 

On 4/7/2023 at 7:00 PM, strick said:

strick 

20170717_203619.jpeg

You're gonna need a chiropractor in a few years strick. 😄

49 minutes ago, Dcraun said:

That was a great read thanks for sharing your settings too!

Thanks.

Those settings and hunt strategy are just one way to try to make some headway in a very heavily modern trashed area. They work for me if I want to find some coins and sometimes I get lucky with a ring or two.