Ticket On Ml-105 Manticore Headphones...

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Mine do the same. I now disconnect the headphones first, before pulling the plug from the wall. If I pull the plug from the wall first, they turn on and I have to shut them off, other wise they drain power.

Good to know.  Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

It’s a typical limitation of magnetic style connectors and an input voltage limit of five volts because a USB Type A connector is used.  The magnetic interface point of the connector which is great for creating a waterproof electrical connection point, is also a relatively high resistance point which will overheat if you crank too much current through it (these are known as I-squared-R power losses and temperature at that connector “gap” rapidly increases as the square (power of 2) of current increases) and the exposed contact points can arc over if too much voltage is applied.   Computers use power delivery USB C type connectors with high voltage series and parallel connected battery cell combinations to support the high power and long endurance demands of laptops, this also enables higher voltages and currents to be applied to enable rapid charging.  The Manticore charge power limit is probably around 15 watts or less (5 volts at less than 3 amps), whereas laptops can draw 150 watts or more from their brick chargers.

Thanks for that Chase. I was unaware of the limitations of a magnetic charging interface. I probably should have used a better example of fast charge like my Samsung S8 Ultra tablet which has a 14.6" screen with no charging brick. I use a 25 watt usb charger and I can have it full power from 25% in about an hour and a half. It's got a 11,200 mah battery. 

To add to the "turned on when not meant to" theme.  I've found the power button almost too easy to engage.  More than a couple of times, my 105's have managed to turn themselves on while bouncing around in the back of my Jeep, while inside the provided case.  

Almost too common, that I've taken them out of the case to find them already powered on.  

Way too bloody hot to use the dang things right now anyway though.  Sure wish there was an elegant ear bud solution.  I'm learning to live with the speaker - and, it's fine, really.  Just hate to use it in public parks.  

- Dave

I never use the headphones but I always like to charge any rechargeable batteries(cell phone,NIMH AAs, etc) as slowly as possible. The slow charging keep the batteries cooler thus extending battery life.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

Sure wish there was an elegant ear bud solution. 

I agree. I saw a fella on YT using ear "clips" I guess. The ones that wrap around the back of your ear. His channel is "I dig Daytona" Uses a Manticore. I want to wear a sun protective wide brim hat like he does. I should ask how he modify them.

Imagine how much Mine Lab could make if they offered a set that worked with their detectors? Waterproof too? Are you hearing me Mine Lab?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TampaBayBrad said:

Thanks for that Chase. I was unaware of the limitations of a magnetic charging interface. I probably should have used a better example of fast charge like my Samsung S8 Ultra tablet which has a 14.6" screen with no charging brick. I use a 25 watt usb charger and I can have it full power from 25% in about an hour and a half. It's got a 11,200 mah battery. 

Yep it’s all about maximizing current and limiting heat.  The tablet uses a USB C connector and at 25 watts is probably drawing nearly twice as much current as the Manticore charge circuit can handle not counting heat losses.

• Like 1

Update on status of ML-105 Headphones:  I received an e-mail from the repair center this morning (Jul 14) with a USPS tracking number and a "NEW ML-105 headphones" on the next line.  No explanation about what they found was the reason for the failure. 

I did send a reply back asking if it was Battery?, Wiring?, Connector?, What?

While it is nice to get a new set of ML-105s, it is also imperative to know why they failed!  At least in my opinion it is imperative to know why they failed.  

Joe

• Like 3

USPS Tracking says that the headphones were picked up by USPS at 11:03 AM Jul 17 and that the package left the Alum Bank, PA post office at 2:18 PM on the way to me.  No response to my inquiry into what caused the failure.  I guess they don't want users to know what will cause a failure!!!  At least I have a new set in the mail.  

Joe