Snakes, Thorns And Other Causes For Concern

Rad Rocks

If people would remember do not step over a rock but step on top of it and then step out away from that rock.

Bye stepping over that rock you putting your leg right in front of that snake and he’s going to get you. 
 Bye stepping on top of that rock and step a ways off you have a good chance of being out of range of that snake hitting you.

The best investment you will ever make is buy yourself some good snake guards.

Above all boots is the only thing you need be wearing nugget hunting. 

Chuck 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20+ years with the USGS working throughout the southwest and Sierra foothill never had a problem with rattlesnakes - they always let me know they were there. Lots of bears in Alaska, both black and grizzles/Kodiak, but never a problem (even on Katmai). Run-ins with people, particularly remote miners, was a different story. Driving a government vehicle in outback Alaska more than several times I had guns pointed at me (and a few times in Nevada) but the usual outcome when they found out I was USGS it became 'you're the guys with the maps' and all was OK (BIA, BLM, NFS, not so popular). I always felt safe that I wasn't really doing anything that would cause conflict. Looking back now I realize there were a number of times out there alone that things could have gone very sideways.

Post USGS I've spent quite a bit of time wandering through the Sierra foothills, checking old Tertiary exposures, mountain biking with my wife and kids, remote camping and hiking. My going out alone was never an issue. But this happened just three years ago and hit close to home. Downieville/Allegheny area had been a favorite. My wife had worked with this guy and had met the wife at company events. Remote camping, my going out alone, has been somewhat curtailed (well, this and my falling into the Middle Fork of the Cosumnes and hitting my head on a boulder while out prospecting). Yes, there are crazies everywhere, but this hit too close to home.

A 15-year-old survived 30 hours lost in the woods in California after his father was shot by a gunman while asking for directions

https://www.insider.com/teen-spent-30-hours-lost-woods-father-was-shot-2020-7

Hi Rad Rocks,

I'm here in Surprise, AZ, near you, so I know the AZ desert well.  I always recommend a good pair of Snake Gaiters, or better yet Doc's Leg Gaiters we sell that are knee pads/Snake Gaiters combined.  I wear just a normal, light weight hiking boot, the Gaiters, lightweight pants and light colored, long sleeved shirt along with a hat.  I tried to stay light, but properly covered for Sun Protection and all the stuff you will be stepping on and through while prospecting and metal detecting the desert regions.  

I have seen people carry everything including the Kitchen Sink with then, so you have to figure out your own style and comfort.  I don't like all the gadgets, so I like to stay lightweight, minimal stuff hanging off me, but still have all the essentials (snacks, water and such).

Rob

I ran into this today after I found a 1.1 gram nugget with my Gpx5000. 

IMG_20230925_083851673.jpg

IMG_20230925_115102788.jpg

IMG_20230925_124914944.jpg

I just heard someone over at Gold Basin almost got bit by a rattlesnake. It struck at him and it hit a box next to his leg. This news makes me want to check my tent right now 🤣😂.

Reese  I had one at eye leval out there in a bush kind of wrapped around it as they do  a Mojave green to boot u need to be loud and look everywhere he was camouflaged well but when you see it  WOW never even thought they would be in my face   So caution prevails and is paramount  people pass from the  weirdest errors in the wild at least no big grizzlers  be safe 

Just got off work a couple hours ago..was doing dentals at a high end well to do horse barn here in the east bay Mt diablo foot hills..a rattle snake was found in one of the feeder bags in one of the horse stalls across from where I was standing...the ladies were a little bit concerned but soon forgot about it. Just keep your eyes open. Grizzles that a whole different deal. 

strick

Not long ago I was going out in the evening to night hunt. Seen a rotten tree with claw marks. Here in WV even close to town bears get seen. For the most part they would rather run than be seen. I still thought better of the night hunt.

Last week was detecting an area which has been good in the past.  I got a good signal and was digging it up, No warning got "HIT" by a Yellow Jacket, Hit because it's like getting HIT!  I moved darn fast for 69 years old.  Second time in a few years that's happened, you have no warning because they seem to come out of no where.  I "Wonder" what that signal was?  Well will wait till after the first frost and go finish that recovery up. 

10 hours ago, KD8GIS said:

Last week was detecting an area which has been good in the past.  I got a good signal and was digging it up, No warning got "HIT" by a Yellow Jacket, Hit because it's like getting HIT!  I moved darn fast for 69 years old.  Second time in a few years that's happened, you have no warning because they seem to come out of no where.  I "Wonder" what that signal was?  Well will wait till after the first frost and go finish that recovery up. 

Had a wasp hit me on the side of the face a few weeks ago opening a pipe gate...One of the few time I've been hit but not stung...bad aim or a warning shot? I'll never know but I located where they were coming from and told the owner.

Couple weeks ago I was up in the High Sierras detecting when I decided to take a break for lunch so I set my detector down..When I went to pick it up I noticed there were about 5 bumble bees sucking the sweat off my arm band...I analyzed the situation briefly and decided to just give the arm cuff a wack with my hat and maybe kill a couple (I had been getting buzzed by them for hours and about had it with all the bees) ...that was a mistake and you should have heard by buddy laughing as I was swinging the hat around my head trying to fend off the swarming bees that I only managed to piss off 🙂 

strick

4 hours ago, strick said:

.I analyzed the situation briefly and decided to just give the arm cuff a wack with my hat and maybe kill a couple (I had been getting buzzed by them for hours and about had it with all the bees) ...that was a mistake and you should have heard by buddy laughing as I was swinging the hat around my head trying to fend off the swarming bees that I only managed to piss off 🙂 

strick

When working the hives we are very careful to not squash many bees. Not because we don't want to lose bees (about 50K in a hive and during summer they only live about 30 days) but because it releases an alarm scent that gets them riled up. If I smash a few on my suit they will often follow me back to the truck even 100 yards away.