Gold With 3 Different Detectors This Week

Compass

2 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Absolutely fantastic couple of hunts.  Beautiful finds.  Just shows you it's not necessarily the machine that finds the gold - It's the operator. You worked hard for those targets.

Thank you School, It seems that every situation is different and while I agree that many different machines can do the job, I believe that there is often a best detector for a particular situation. I guess that why so many of us feel the need for multiple detectors - no one detector can do it all.                 As far as working hard goes, when I'm finding gold it doesn't feel like work. 😄

Your silence let me know you were out somewhere.

The weather service puts out Severe Weather warnings for high surf but they have not been matched by my surfer sites and other than a few sets, the surfer sites are more accurate.

That being said, I went out and was the 6th or 7th to get there one night ... slim pickings so you go to a side beach and get more.  Nothing like yours but kept me out.

One night my 800 was dead and I used my SE Pro for 3 hours and it killed my arm without a harness.

I like your results better than mine.  WTG

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

Your silence let me know you were out somewhere.

The weather service puts out Severe Weather warnings for high surf but they have not been matched by my surfer sites and other than a few sets, the surfer sites are more accurate.

That being said, I went out and was the 6th or 7th to get there one night ... slim pickings so you go to a side beach and get more.  Nothing like yours but kept me out.

One night my 800 was dead and I used my SE Pro for 3 hours and it killed my arm without a harness.

I like your results better than mine.  WTG

Thanks M, I agree, I use the surfer sites quite a bit. On my 3rd hunt at the beach I actually got there later than I wanted to and, sure enough, there was another hunter and lots of holes in an area I had scoped out earlier in the day. I didn't want to crowd him so I went about a quarter mile south and found another pocket of targets and found the small (2gram) gold ring. Funny how things work out sometimes. 

Nice work Compass. I love the Excalibur. I have one of the last that was made with the 8" coil and I bought it for trashy beach hunting (fresh water sites) its done well for me over the years ...It's nice and simple to operate and you don't have to worry too much if its gonna leak...You're not going to find many gold chains with it but its great for rings... goes to show you don't need the latest/fastest technology to go out and find gold...it's the hunter that finds the gold.

strick 

5 hours ago, strick said:

Nice work Compass. I love the Excalibur. I have one of the last that was made with the 8" coil and I bought it for trashy beach hunting (fresh water sites) its done well for me over the years ...It's nice and simple to operate and you don't have to worry too much if its gonna leak...You're not going to find many gold chains with it but its great for rings... goes to show you don't need the latest/fastest technology to go out and find gold...it's the hunter that finds the gold.

strick 

Thanks strick, I was thinking that the 8" coil would be ideal for me as well but for a slightly different reason. Some lakes that I hunt are very difficult to dig in because the bottom could be clay, big gravel or finely packed dense sand. Pinpointing becomes very important because if I'm off just a little it can add minutes to the target recovery. If I can't see the coil because of murky water the recovery is even more challenging. A smaller coil helps shrink the area and helps me to dig less.

Someday I may look into replacing my stock Excalibur coil with the smaller 8" one. There's got to be a few out there from old flooded Excals with perfectly good coils.

4 hours ago, jim tn said:

Some impressive gold, really nice haul! HH jim tn

Thanks Jim, In looking at today's surf report it might be a perfect time to do the lake circuit.