Another Newb - Intro + Question

LDVA1

Hi,

I'm just starting to mess around with the Equinox 800 that I purchased used right here in the D/P classifieds. I'm in central Va and my first attempts are in my own 2 acre property around our house built in 1928. So far I'm a bit frustrated - not surprising I'm sure - I've found a couple bottle tops, pull tabs and nails. I've also had what seemed to be strong signals that turn out to be nothing. Ie a 13 or 14 on the screen with strong tone and seemingly 3 or 4" deep but nada when I turn up the turf. I also get quite a bit of overlapping signals in some spots - maybe I need to learn about discriminating more. I admit to not having my pinpointer yet. One is coming. I've used the pinpointer on the Equinox but not sure it's the best solution. My ground around here is kind of red clay and a pain to get into. What do you folks like to use to cut into hard ground? I've been keeping my settings in Park 1 or 2 with multi frequency and 20 on sensitivity. I have done the noise canceling thing too prior to detecting. Anyway what I probably need to do is go thoroughly through the instruction manual and learn more about what I have and how to use it. Anyway sorry for the blah, blah that I'm sure you all hear from a beginner. I am enthusiastic about getting better at this...

Hi there, @LDVA1

My first piece of advice is to keep on putting time on the machine. Otherwise, it sounds like you have a good plan for a new user -- keep it simple and don't get too deep into the menu/options.

Depending upon how much traffic your property has seen over time, you might simply have a scarcity of dropped coins/relics. One thing I've found very beneficial is to practice new equipment at local schoolyards, if you have any close by. Modern schoolyards offer a wide variety of good targets -- from coins to small jewelry and toys -- but don't expect anything old or super valuable. The benefit here is lots of kids repeatedly active on the same ground over time, so greater potential for drops than relatively untrafficked residential property.

When using the 800 for coinshooting, I'll dig anything reading 11-13 or 19+, but that's just in my soil conditions.

So I have had the 800 since it's release and I made some very good finds with it although I never really clicked with it. As a matter of fact I have rarely used it since getting the original deus a few months after buying the Nox. One thing that I would recommend to you is that if you are using the stock eleven inch coil invest in the smaller six inch until you proficient with your machine.That made a huge diffirence for me as it quieted down the detector and made separation and pinpointing a breeze in the trashy iron laden sites that I hunt.The 800 is a great machine however a little too chatty at times in my opinion just put in your time and the good finds will follow.

"I've also had .. strong signals that turn out to be nothing. Ie a 13 or 14 on the screen with strong tone and seemingly 3 or 4" deep but nada when I turn up the turf"
Sounds like a common Park2 ( or Field2 ) issue. Caused by large deep iron, especially if it's 'loop shaped', like nuts, washers, chain link(s) , iron buckle, horse bridle joining rings.

Changing to Park1 ( or Field1 ) and seeing if it's 'still there' is one technique to try.

Also .. pinpoint mode doesn't "lie" , if it indicates something is there, it's almost certainly right. So you know to keep digging, if it's not in the top 4 inches. This is where an electronic pinpoint probe could show it's use, as putting it into that 4" hole, it would likely get the target at 7", maybe more if was a large item.

Welcome from East Texas.

Some good advice so far, more will chime in. Your experience is normal & everyone started out similarly. It takes time using the machine for it to all start making some sense. I will suggest laying out some typical targets( good & trash) on a clean area of ground and practice on them. You can cover them with a cloth if you want after a while to help on pin pointing.   As far a digging in your red clay soil, use a sharp & NARROW bladed shovel. I have similar ground & the Nomad shovel made by Root Slayer works very well. Strong, light weight and cuts neat small plugs, They make hand trowels too.

Everyone I so much appreciate the replies and advice! I will use all of it. 
I do have a 6” coil that came with and will try that. Also will practice with various items and see if I can get permission to detect at the local school grounds. Thank you for the recommendation on the shovel too!

Luca

JCR's comment on laying out some targets is great advice. I'll add starting out in Park 1 in All Metal is a good place to start learning the machine. When I take a new-to-metal detecting person out for the first couple of times I take them to a tot lot where there are usually lots of targets from pop tops to junk jewelry plus the usual coins to find and get practice with. Plus, those wood chips are easy to dig in. Also, learn to use your ears first and look at the numbers second. Welcome to the hobby. Have fun.