White's Coils On Fisher Detector?

Today I had a conversation with a colleague in which we talked about being able to use coils from one brand in detectors from another for which they were not manufactured. I stand aside due to my lack of knowledge, but he argues that it is possible to adapt certain coils that were not designed for a detector for which they were not designed. Is that possible? Making mods is one of my favorite hobbies so the topic caught my attention. Specifically, we were talking about placing Whites coils that are used in the M6, MXT, BHID, DFX and some others that I don't remember, and installing them in the fisher cz21, cz3D, which share similar frequencies, configuring adapters and wiring. Do you think this could work?

The short answer in 'no,' detectors are designed around the coil impedance characteristics.

The long answer is, it's possible but very difficult. First off, some coils are internally narrow-banded with a tuning cap and will only work with one frequency. DFX/MXT coil are not, they are wide-band so that's good. In most cases the TX coil inductance and resistance need to be fairly close so it may require winding an impedance-matching transformer. Depending on the detector design, the same may be needed on the RX coil (it would on the CZ). Even then, it will be difficult to get the phase response correct so disc will likely be off.

Gary Hudson of Gold Bug 2 Mod fame recommended a 4" Garrett Super Sniper DeepSeeker coil for my Goldbug Pro to hear non-ferrous targets in irony trash better. I said OK and he changed the connector, I had to drill a hole on the side of the middle Fisher rod and it works perfectly with the coil on a lower Garrett rod. I don't know anything about that 4" coil, just that it's working very well, though I hardly detect relics anymore. Don't have contact info for Gary anymore.