For The CTX Users With The 13x17 Coil For Deep Coin Hunting.

Dan(NM)

I'm wondering if the big coil has any real world depth advantage over the 11" for deep coin hunting.  I just bought a new CTX that came with the big coil and need to  know if it's worth keeping and using for getting any extra depth on coin sized target. My soil is very mild so mineralization issues shouldn't be a problem using 13x17. If it's only advantage is coverage, then I'll probably sell it.  Thanks in advance.

ETRAC and CTX 3030 are detectors where by using a larger coil/13"/ you can increase the depth range on coin targets... let's say from the size of 13-14 mm in most types to large coins compared to a 11" standard coil...

...I did a depth test of the CTX 3030 with a large coil with a modified coin program on my test field.. I modified the coin program,,, not only with regard to the good depth of detection, but also to the maximum stability of the ID on deep targets.. The CTX 3030 detector was set to a manual sensitivity of 23... tested targets are: 1. small ..14 mm silver earring at a depth of 20 cm.. 2. small.. 14mm -0.50 gram silver hammered coin at a depth of 23cm.. 3. the deepest target is a 50 euro cent coin at a depth of 37 cm.. ...one thing is also clear... and that... that the big 13x17" coil... brings a depth advantage compared to the standard 11" coil... even on small coins.. Sure, I will continue to work on further improving the CTX setting for deep targets..

....I did a depth test of the CTX 3030 with a large coil with a modified coin program on my test field.. I modified the coin program,,, not only with regard to the good depth of detection, but also to the maximum stability of the ID on deep targets... in this test, I set the sensitivity to the lowest limit -/19/..at which the CTX 3030 with a large coil... still reliably detects the deepest target - 50 euro cents at a depth of 37 cm...

If I were looking for very small targets..around 5-mm, I would use a standard 11" coil..and also focus on choosing the correct most sensitive CTX channel for such targets..from my tests it is channel 11..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

ETRAC and CTX 3030 are detectors where by using a larger coil/13"/ you can increase the depth range on coin targets... let's say from the size of 13-14 mm in most types to large coins compared to a 11" standard coil...

...I did a depth test of the CTX 3030 with a large coil with a modified coin program on my test field.. I modified the coin program,,, not only with regard to the good depth of detection, but also to the maximum stability of the ID on deep targets.. The CTX 3030 detector was set to a manual sensitivity of 23... tested targets are: 1. small ..14 mm silver earring at a depth of 20 cm.. 2. small.. 14mm -0.50 gram silver hammered coin at a depth of 23cm.. 3. the deepest target is a 50 euro cent coin at a depth of 37 cm.. ...one thing is also clear... and that... that the big 13x17" coil... brings a depth advantage compared to the standard 11" coil... even on small coins.. Sure, I will continue to work on further improving the CTX setting for deep targets..

....I did a depth test of the CTX 3030 with a large coil with a modified coin program on my test field.. I modified the coin program,,, not only with regard to the good depth of detection, but also to the maximum stability of the ID on deep targets... in this test, I set the sensitivity to the lowest limit -/19/..at which the CTX 3030 with a large coil... still reliably detects the deepest target - 50 euro cents at a depth of 37 cm...

If I were looking for very small targets..around 5-mm, I would use a standard 11" coil..and also focus on choosing the correct most sensitive CTX channel for such targets..from my tests it is channel 11..

Thank you for the reply. I'll keep the coil and give it run.

• Like 1

The difference between a 17" coil versus an 11" detection depth is about 20% ( + - depending on the size of the object ) in favor of a 17 - inch one.
It all depends on the correct setting of the detector .
The only drawback is the loss of the depth of detection of small targets on very wet ground .

• Like 2

Although careful testing may show an advantage with the 17” coil, I just think it may find more due to coverage on a swing. My experience doesn’t show a noticeable increase in depth or targets. I can swing the 11” a lot faster and manipulate it a lot faster. Locate targets faster and at deep enough depths that I don’t need deeper. I don’t think I ever have found a gold ring at the depths I find aluminum can slaw.  When the CTX was more popular probably a majority of serious hunters were using the 17”.  But that combo damaged my right arm and I went back to 11”.  Years later, arm still hurting sometimes, I tried the 17” again. Nope just too heavy.  A light bigfoot would be awesome though.

• Like 1

The target of larger coils than the standard 11" ,,, should be the following detection, which has already been detected several times with a standard coil and smaller coils....and in addition to good targets, some ferrous and non-ferrous waste was dug up....and it was also cleaned well from unsolicited signals for the use of a larger coil... so that it works as optimally as possible... and reaches some deeper targets... which are at the limit or beyond the range of a standard coil...

As Vladimir says... wet /conductive/, or in hematite soil/iron type/...it can reduce the sensitivity of large coils to small low-conductive targets...I like to compare it to the Effect-mechanism like Monte Performance Nailboard Test ...where iron deposited on a large surface ...can strongly limit and subsequently reduce the VDI of low-conductivity targets with a large coil.. into the iron zone...and in such a situation, a smaller coil works better than a large coil..

And as Bklein says .. the weight of a large coil is greater .. and that is the payment for a greater depth of detection ... and the price can suit everyone ... I believe that in the future even large coils can be significantly lighter - if modern technologies are used, for example in performance sports...

Since the CTX 3030 is a bit more stable than the ETRAC... I would also see a larger coil for the CTX 3030 like a 13X17" coil.....maybe something like a ligth 15" round coil  ..for coin detection....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the CTX since 2012 and the 13x17 coil since 2014. In that time I've done multiple side by side comparisons on targets with other CTX users with the stock coil, and the 13x17 definitely gets a couple of extra inches in mild soils in parks. Many times the larger coil was the difference for me between getting skunked or a couple of silver coins!  You do have to be careful to not injure your shoulder though lol.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2023 at 3:08 AM, frozen_north said:

I have used the CTX since 2012 and the 13x17 coil since 2014. In that time I've done multiple side by side comparisons on targets with other CTX users with the stock coil, and the 13x17 definitely gets a couple of extra inches in mild soils in parks. Many times the larger coil was the difference for me between getting skunked or a couple of silver coins!  You do have to be careful to not injure your shoulder though lol.

I agree, you're right in my opinion.  I never use my 11" coil as all I care about with my CTX is deep silver coins in mild soils and the 17x13" is the clear winner.

The CTX with 17x13" is the superior deep silver machine in mild soils on the market today, even though it's ancient.

• Like 2