Looking For GPX 6000 Coil Alternatives

23 hours ago, Aureous said:

Of all the coils available for use with the 6000, the 11" ML mono is by far the worst. Poorly made with crap shielding quality, bunched or gapped wiring and quality control was practically non existent. In quiet soils, it will work OK but in hotter soils, it will groan like a hangover. This is a by-product of it being a flat-wound mono, they all 'hear' mineralization to a greater degree....which is why neither aftermarket coil manufacturers use this design. By far, the quietest coil is the NF 12x7 mono. I hope that the square-block wound mono design that NF use, will be replicated in their 16x10 and 8.5x6 monos as well. Quiet means stable and stable means performance improvement. At the moment, the Coiltek 10x5 mono is the most sensitive coil out there...by a mile. 

what you describe about the 11" mono ML coil for the 6000 is not what we noticed in WA and detected for at least 3 months out of a 4 month trip in  WA.

I did try a 9" coiltek mono and found it was ok as well but I liked the 11" ML coil and it found us plenty of gold and it ran quite well in my opinion.

WA is not noted for quiet ground, but yes you will need to move some hot rocks out of the way but there was gold under and around quite a few of them.

On the Granite type ground is much quieter type of ground and nearly no hot rocks and you could run the 6000 in normal but on the ironstone type ground it seemed necessary to run the 6000 in Difficult, and on getting a target when switching to normal the target was no better and I found the ground signal would nearly mask the target at times in the Ironstone type ground if running in normal.

cheers dave

• Like 5

For me the GoldHawk 10x5 gets my vote, have found on the 6K the larger coils do not equate to much more depth as is generally the case for most detectors over the years, the ML 17 vs GH 10x5 will illustrate this with the GH 10x5 having a considerable edge in small size at depth by far. Only other detector I`ve used that gives very little depth advantage with larger coils is the SDC, of course in both detectors the larger coils give a wider search area with each swing.

I`d love to see what around a 11 inch CC from X coils on the 6K does, have a suspicion it would be the bees knees for depth on "scraps" and larger. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

Only other detector I`ve used that gives very little depth advantage with larger coils is the SDC, of course in both detectors the larger coils give a wider search area with each swing.

I thought you'd notice this; I'm surprised how few talk about it and exactly why there are no proper large coils for the 6000.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Norvic said:

I`d love to see what around a 11 inch CC from X coils on the 6K does, have a suspicion it would be the bees knees for depth on "scraps" and larger. 

yes, you and me to, I think a CC x-coil on the 6000 would be great

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

I thought you'd noticed this; I'm surprised how few talk about it and exactly why there are no proper large coils for the 6000.

MLs on the money with both the SDC and the newer 6K re. the Zs for the deep large stuff, those scraps are the bread and butter always have been right back to the 80s when the higher frequency VLFs were introduced. Glamorous and heart thumping it is to dig up a bigun but the scraps pay the way in my backyard and I suspect in most of our backyards.

• Like 5

I wonder if the 17" on the 6000 is a bit like the 19" 'dog' coil was on the 7000. Hasn't lived up to expectation. I can imagine what a nightmare the 17" would be like on the 6000 with the shaft twisting. I think I would be scared of breaking the shaft.

D4G

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

I wonder if the 17" on the 6000 is a bit like the 19" 'dog' coil was on the 7000. Hasn't lived up to expectation. I can imagine what a nightmare the 17" would be like on the 6000 with the shaft twisting. I think I would be scared of breaking the shaft.

D4G

Its not bad at all.  My only complaint is its a little "soft" on target signal sound.  Its pretty stable.  Im looking forward to the bigger exceed coil because if it has target sound like the 12x7 and punches deep its gonna be a game changer. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, dig4gold said:

D4G

An apt comparison IMO. 🙂

Difference is that it was assumed or said the GPZ couldn't really benefit from larger coils since it was just so ultra sensitive to begin with - and that was not true as X Coils showed. However, I do wonder if it's true with the 6000 to some degree. 

• Like 3

On 10/7/2023 at 8:55 AM, dig4gold said:

To those of you in noisier ground & not liking the 11" & have both the NF 12x7 & CT 10x5, do you find the 12x7 gets better depth on same size gold as the 10x5 or is the gold the 12x7 finds deeper but slightly bigger. In a normal world one would think that was the case due solely to the physics of the coil sizes verses gold size & depth. In that case the 10x5 should find smaller gold but not as deep. The difference could also be the 12x7 running quieter allowing very faint small gold to be heard if you consider the 12x7 to be smoother & quieter running.

There is also the placebo effect, along with brand bias at play sometimes 🙂 I've heard people who have never used the 10x5" say the 12x7" is best.  I personally think in my limited use the 10x5" is better for my needs, more sensitive and better size/shape and with my testing deeper on smaller gold than the 12x7".  The 12x7" also has edge sensitivity issues with small gold whereas the 10x5" doesn't.

I think the 11" is right up there though as likely very close if not the most sensitive and deepest.  Yes, it can be a little unstable compared to the aftermarket coils but that's something you can put up with for the sensitivity benefits.

I think anyone using more sensitive coils expects a little more instability.  The old 11" Commander mono ran like a dream compared to my 14x9" NF Evo, but the EVO was far more sensitive.

My gripes with the 11" are not performance ones, they're all about build quality.  I'm on my second, hopefully it fails soon so I can get a third as I believe they keep improving them over time, I'll just have to make sure I use it enough while it's still under warranty for it to die on me 🙂

• Like 2