Bad Luck Day First Relic Hunt? Well Sorta.

5 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Once again those fields are releasing the old coins to you, and it couldn't happen to a nicer person.

Don't forget to take the 600 out for a field hunt as you know how she gets when neglected.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Thanks VL,

It's not every day you just walk out in a field and nail a large cent, honestly I was done at that point, everything else was gravy. Tilling flips some vertical stuff horizontal, so there should be a fair amount of stuff but it's not going to be as fruitful as it was.

However, getting the obvious stuff out makes it easier to find the better stuff like the old gold ring I snagged here a while back. Tracking hunts helps you find the unexpected.

Large cents, like silver coins, are very easy to find for me at nearly any depth, I got a nice 1775 KG here a year or two ago in an unlikely spot loaded with aluminum. I think I was using the 600. 🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well that's a great start to a new relic season, F350, and you're just getting warmed up, well done! I look forward to all your ancient finds this season. Tally Ho! 😎

Thanks Cap'n,

I feel kind of silly using a Beach program out here in the dirt, but if you dig a fair amount here you find fine silica beach sand, and it's mixed in with the topsoil making it a diggers' paradise. This peninsula is surrounded on all sides by brackish water with salt content as well. But, if it's dry for a bit it becomes concrete.20231013_134650.thumb.jpg.e92e960fd18b6e5e8b5269316898876c.jpg

This area of field closer to the old house had sunflowers on it and was tilled heavily in 2 directions. It was as dry as it looks, so I'm waiting for the all day rain today to settle it a bit and light up the targets. I found the oval horse tack here, but depth was an issue.

I did find Gary's Deep HC program to be hot on the small stuff, but the small stuff is buckshot smack in the gold range. 😀 it also drove up IDs by one or two numbers.

The D2 feels like a whole new machine now with V2, overall far more precise which makes the 13" a real winner. 🙂

In the coming weeks I'm going to give the WS6 a shot with the 9" in the corn stalks at other fields, I'm hoping for some interesting results!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markinswpa said:

Congrats on the cent trifecta and other relics 350. Maybe I missed it but I fail to see where any bad luck was around, looks like a great hunt to me. Good luck. Mark

Thanks Mark,

This was a bit of a joke in that it was Friday the 13th. 😏 the only bad luck was not getting enough detail on the coins. 😀 Sucks to be me 🙄

It was a great hunt, there is nothing like hunting freshly tilled ground. The owner saw me out there and probably rolled his eyes a bit, it was finished just a day or two ago and here I am out there digging it up. 😬 Thought of that, and in the finely tilled spots I even slotted the topsoil in the pattern the tiller made after filling in the hole.

When you're digging in a place that is on the National Historic Register, you want to come back so you take pains to keep it nice. 😁 A few of my permissions, thankfully privately owned by very nice people, are like this.

• Like 4

I'm thinking Draped Bust for the large cent.  Nice to find a copper right off the bat. Also nice to see a turned field for some easy diggin' .Good hunt and a whole lot of exercise. 👣

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I'm thinking Draped Bust for the large cent.  Nice to find a copper right off the bat. Also nice to see a turned field for some easy diggin' .Good hunt and a whole lot of exercise. 👣

Thanks!

Were it that I had a single shred of detail. 😵 I would be thrilled if that's what it was. It weighs 10.7 grams too. I'll have to compare it with other large cents I've found.

One thing for sure this is an easy place to dig. Every farm everywhere. You might run into clay sometimes but there are no rocks over the size of small. 🙄 Seems like it now and again but that is a tell for big iron. 😀

I'm tracking my field hunts in OnX Hunt now, so I know where I've been, have photos and markers of the finds, and know how long I was out there and how many miles it was. Even if I forget to turn tracking off I can edit the track later!

I wouldn't trade these aches, pains, and muscle cramps for a sedentary lifestyle for sure. I haven't pushed myself this hard since Basic Training... 😏 41 years ago 🤣

• Like 1