Wireless Headphones For Axiom

DSMITH

Has anyone tried using a different set of headphones with a wireless transmitter with the Axiom ???

Being in Arizona and the areas I am detecting, I like to stay aware of whats going on around me, there is always the possibility of stepping on a rattle snake or running into a bear or mountain lion, or even a large herd of javalina, which is just a few of the reasons I do not like using over the ear headphones, so I used one of my wireless transmitters with the Axiom today and connected my Avantree Torus neckband speaker to the transmitter which they actually worked great, i had to turn the volume way down on the Axiom as well as turning the volume down on the Avantree Torus to keep the volume from being way to loud.

I started out with the Mono Coil on the Axiom and then realized that the Iron Check does not work with the Mono Coils, and the axiom will tell you in a hurry with this annoying sound that sounds like a telephone ringer that tells you (Hey Stupid You Have the wrong coil attached to the Axiom for the Iron Check Feature to work) then it dawned on me to swap over to the one of the DDs, I had not tried the Iron Check feature yet while using headphones so not sure its the same with the supplied wireless headphones or not (referring to that telephone ringer) but it was with the Avantree Torus, I had tried the iron check feature without headphones and the DD Coil but not with headphones and the incorrect coil attached until today, other than that telephone ringer I got while using the 11x7 Mono the Avantree Torus worked great with the Axiom and allowed me to stay aware of what my wife was doing, as well as what was going on around me, I do have a few other wireless bone conduction headphones that I will also be trying out with the wireless transmitter on the Axiom but every wireless headphone I have tried I end up going back to the Avantree Torus, simply because they are an outstanding product that just works, all the other wireless headphones I have tried with various detectors one of the main issues is not enough volume level, not really sure this would be an issue with the Axiom, every other detector I have tried using different headphones on were limited by the amount of volume control on each detector I used them with but with the amount of volume control you have with the Axiom it may just be a case that all my wireless bone conduction headphones will work with the axiom.

I really like the Avantree Torus and use them with every detector I have some have built in Bluetooth capabilities, and others Like the Garrett GM 24K I use a wireless transmitter to go wireless also, the wireless transmitter I used with the Axiom i did not notice any kind of interference at all I attached the transmitter across the top above the charging port at the back of the arm cuff using a strip of sticky back Velcro on the Axiom and the other side of the Velcro which is also sticky backed on the bottom of wireless transmitter, this makes it very easy to remove the transmitter if I need or want to

the supplied headphones that come with the Axiom are ok and work good but again being in Arizona they are just to hot, and restrict your ability to know what is going on around you, winter may be a different story

19 minutes ago, timbus59 said:

Hi, the Avantree speaker looks great for hot weather in California too. which Bluetooth wireless transmitter do you recommend? 

Well I was going to give you a link to two of the ones that I have been using and have worked really good but they are no longer available on amazon, SORRY

The Avantree Torus work fantastic and have worked fantastic with every detector I have used them with.

Steve also recommended a transmitter

21 minutes ago, timbus59 said:

Hi, the Avantree speaker looks great for hot weather in California too. which Bluetooth wireless transmitter do you recommend? 

I'm thinking the ultimate setup would be something like the Avantree Torus able to connect to a z-link WR-1.  Low latency, hear the axiom and the carrot, and hear that bear sneaking up on you. 🧸

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I run the Axiom and dont care for the garrett headphones. I use Quest wireless audio set with the Axiom and some of my other detectors.

• Like 1

I don't find the MS-3 too bad but also use the Quest transmitter and their headphones. Their full cover phones are great but the 'ear size' phones are also really nice compromise for hot weather or not blocking all surrounding sound. They do drop out now and then, in some positions, but it's very minimal.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Where I live in S. Oregon we are over 100* alot in the summer and over ear headphones end up full of sweat, plus we have rattlesnakes and lots of bears and lions, so complete noise cancelling is not my preference. While I dont worry much about the cats/bears I have almost stepped on the snakes a few times in my life. I dont use the external speaker much due to wind and water noise and wanting to keeping a low profile in a couple spots.  Also I hate being connected to a metal detector by wire.  At the suggestion of Steve H. I now use the Garrett WR-1 reciever with some nice silicone tipped earbuds and for me it works every bit as good as the wireless over ear headphones minus the sweat, you do need a 1/4”-3.5mm adapter since the wr-1 has only a 1/4” plug but that is a minor thing in my book. I will say the wr-1 has the same intermittent cut in and out issue as the wireless headphones but I put the transmitter in my right back pocket(my detector arm) and it is very minimal usually only happening when I set the detector on the ground to dig. 

• Like 2