GPX 6000 Battery Problems? Any Help

My 6000 won’t power up. Yes the battery has been charged and checked with the 12v volt charger and the 110V charger. I have checked the voltage of the battery and it is 8 volts, but I am not sure what it really should be. I am in Quartzsite, Az. If anyone is here and would be willing to help, by let me try your battery in my 6000 it sure would help me out. Miner Depot is not open yet and won’t be for another week. If it is something other than the battery I would like to ship it off to Minelab repair as soon as I can, or get another battery headed this way.

• Like 1

Have you checked the little battery pins, they can get stuck in or dirty and not connect properly.

GPXpins.thumb.jpg.4e1d40017011c6ffaab2bb5880024b4c.jpg

8 volts is correct for a good battery on a multi-meter, 7.2 volts nominal voltage when running.

My 6000 came out of the box not powering on properly, it was the detector at fault not the battery and I found out at the time it was a pretty common problem, some came from the factory with both or one of these pins stuck in.  Some just had a bigger issue inside to do with the battery connection.

If the pins are popped out just give them a little clean with some alcohol, worst case a damp cloth if you have nothing else available and wait for them to dry and try it out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you happen to have a pencil with eraser, an eraser can clean off any scum or buildup of crud too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Phrunt yes I have checked the pins and cleaned everything up good. I used an eraser on everything I could. Still no luck!

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that, I hope it doesn't destroy your prospecting trip.  Sounds like it's off to Minelab for a repair 😞

4 hours ago, billdean said:

My 6000 won’t power up.

Hi Bill, 

I had 2 batteries for my 6000 and one day the machine just wouldn't work.  Tried the other battery and it powered up fine.  Cleaned everything on the first battery, recharged it (only took 10 minutes so it was obviously almost full) and re-inserted it and it was still dead.  And apart from the connectors there is really nothing else that can be checked without pulling things apart and voiding warranty (and I would have had no idea what I was looking at anyway 🙂 ) 

Called Minelab here in Australia and they advised there was nothing more I could try.   Got it replaced under warranty.  

My guess is your battery has just had a fatal, unexplained failure.   Hopefully you can get someone local to you to try their battery and confirm that is the case.  

Cheers, N.E.  

• Like 2

Thanks Phrunt……….no it won’t destroy my trip. I have a monster and the 800 that i can use. I have had nothing but trouble with my 6000 though. Last year it was the coil and the audio update. I sent it in last year and from start to finish it was around 3 to 4 weeks I could not use it.

• Oh my! 1

2 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Hi Bill, 

I had 2 batteries for my 6000 and one day the machine just wouldn't work.  Tried the other battery and it powered up fine.  Cleaned everything on the first battery, recharged it (only took 10 minutes so it was obviously almost full) and re-inserted it and it was still dead.  And apart from the connectors there is really nothing else that can be checked without pulling things apart and voiding warranty (and I would have had no idea what I was looking at anyway 🙂 ) 

Called Minelab here in Australia and they advised there was nothing more I could try.   Got it replaced under warranty.  

My guess is your battery has just had a fatal, unexplained failure.   Hopefully you can get someone local to you to try their battery and confirm that is the case.  

Cheers, N.E.  

Thanks…..i do believe i have someone with a 6000 that going to help me tomorrow morning. 

• Like 4

I got a new back up battery last October and got a new replacement for my main battery in February of this year and both are not lasting one full day, in the same day. I gotta call John DeArmitt back in a couple minutes about this. Frustrating. Never have this kind of issues with my 5000 battery. 

1 hour ago, Goldseeker5000 said:

I got a new back up battery last October and got a new replacement for my main battery in February of this year and both are not lasting one full day, in the same day. I gotta call John DeArmitt back in a couple minutes about this. Frustrating. Never have this kind of issues with my 5000 battery. 

The GPX 6000 battery run time is 8 hours in optimal conditions, and I would guess that is when using headphones.  Mine tends to last about 6 hours on a full charge as I use speaker and has been this way since new.  It's a part time detector, not a full time one like the GPZ is without a spare battery.

• Like 1