GPX 6000 Battery Problems? Any Help

Scares me every time I hear about 6000 troubles but with fingers, eyes and toes crossed, I have not had any trouble with mine. Good luck, hope for better luck with yours. 

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

Out of interest, the people getting shorter than expected battery life from their 6000 batteries, when they first got the detector did they fully charge the battery before turning on the detector for the first time?

I get about 5 hrs per battery now. I charged them both before using. 

I dont really fully discharge them often. I just put one on my solar charger every time I move location so that I don't run out the next morning, keep switching. That may decrease the life, dunno?

57 minutes ago, jasong said:

I get about 5 hrs per battery now. I charged them both before using.

I’m very similar with time frame and fully charged both prior to use.

I’ve fully discharged mine a couple of times in the field but they are always fully recharged that day/night.

But, I didn’t think all of that discharge, not discharge, battery memory stuff applied to Lithium batteries?  

If anyone had a dead 6000 battery that is out of warranty please let me know. I would be interested in using it to see how easily it can be repaired- I’ve been doing this with my other lithium powered stuff as the cells they contain are usually common ones and easy to swap out. I use a little battery spot welder to do it- they are handy little gadgets that even have a USB port to charge other stuff with.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Northeast said:

I’m very similar with time frame and fully charged both prior to use.

I’ve fully discharged mine a couple of times in the field but they are always fully recharged that day/night.

But, I didn’t think all of that discharge, not discharge, battery memory stuff applied to Lithium batteries?  

Like other expensive lithium powered gadgets such as drones and things like that, I wouldn’t think the 6000 will actually truly let it fully discharge a battery in order  to prevent damaging it, so hopefully the 6000 isn’t doing that.

Northeast is correct- Lithiums don’t have a memory, but they do not do well if fully discharged, especially if stored that way.  From what I learned, it’s best to store them between 50-75% charged if storing them for longer than a week (partially charging them to that is OK).

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GotAU? said:

Lithiums don’t have a memory, but they do not do well if fully discharged, especially if stored that way.  From what I learned, it’s best to store them between 50-75% charged if storing them for longer than a week (partially charging them to that is OK).

Yes, it is harmful to complete discharge although the device they're put in usually is designed to cut off before that can happen, even the batteries often have a circuit to prevent it happening so running your detector down until its flat isn't fully discharging the battery, also storing at full charge is also not a good idea and shortens the life of the battery, storing about half full is always best.  I generally just charge before use, and put away at whatever level the battery is at when put away, if I'm not using for a few months or more I'll half charge then put away.

It's always best to charge them to full before first use, but a lot of people get too excited and can't hold off for that and use the gear straight away 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, phrunt said:

Yes, it is harmful to complete discharge although the device they're put in usually is designed to cut off before that can happen, even the batteries often have a circuit to prevent it happening so running your detector down until its flat isn't fully discharging the battery, also storing at full charge is also not a good idea and shortens the life of the battery, storing about half full is always best.  I generally just charge before use, and put away at whatever level the battery is at when put away, if I'm not using for a few months or more I'll half charge then put away.

It's always best to charge them to full before first use, but a lot of people get too excited and can't hold off for that and use the gear straight away 🙂

Yeah, the little BMS (battery management system) built-in to the batteries should keep them from fully discharging. That’s another reason why these are so expensive to replace, it’s a shame to throw them away without just replacing the cells.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

running your detector down until its flat isn't fully discharging the battery

Good point and yes, that is what I meant, running until it turns off 👍

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

also storing at full charge is also not a good idea and shortens the life of the battery

Was unaware of that.  Do you know why that is?  Possibly the reason I’m only getting 5 or so hours out of a battery now 🤷‍♂️

They take so damned long to charge having it at half charge doesn’t really convenience itself to a short notice gold hunt!  

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

Was unaware of that.  Do you know why that is?  Possibly the reason I’m only getting 5 or so hours out of a battery now 🤷‍♂️ 

They've made them slower to charge as it's better for the battery, fast charging can shorten the life of the battery.  They've done the same with the Manticore, very slow to charge.

This article is good explaining a few things about lithium's including why storage at full capacity is bad, it basically shortens the life of the battery gradually holding less and less of a charge.

How to store lithium based batteries – BatteryGuy.com Knowledge Base

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1