Gold Detecting In Scotland

There was big gold found there in the past in that valley alone there was 30000 oz taken for coinage and there were a few big nuggets found biggest was 37oz a few 20s but they never found the source  but I bet they never got all the big ones to big an area they only worked the places where there was a river to run sluces so a lot is un touched 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1

Not sure if this is true but I was told that all the gold there belongs to the King (Charles) & prospecting & taking gold is against the law. I was told this by my friend who lives there. However, he still prospects & gets some nice looking gold. 

2 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Not sure if this is true but I was told that all the gold there belongs to the King (Charles) & prospecting & taking gold is against the law. I was told this by my friend who lives there.

The king owns everything. The Crown does not allow prospectors to keep or sell the gold they find but limited prospecting is allowed and legal as long as you get permission from the landowner and follow the very restrictive rules. Think California park rules except you have to dress nice, know how to bow and curtsy, can't touch actual dirt and never ever actually keep or sell the gold you find. No fires, no trash and no tools.

That's the law. The reality, as often is the case, is very different.

Individual "estates" in Scotland allow gold prospecting with permission. Usually permission involves paying for a permit. A permit to prospect for a year on Buccleuch Estate is 50 pounds. Same for Strathfillian. Baile an Or requires a permit and a reservation..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Clay Diggins said:

The king owns everything. The Crown does not allow prospectors to keep or sell the gold they find but limited prospecting is allowed and legal as long as you get permission from the landowner and follow the very restrictive rules. Think California park rules except you have to dress nice, know how to bow and curtsy, can't touch actual dirt and never ever actually keep or sell the gold you find. No fires, no trash and no tools.

That's the law. The reality, as often is the case, is very different.

Individual "estates" in Scotland allow gold prospecting with permission. Usually permission involves paying for a permit. A permit to prospect for a year on Buccleuch Estate is 50 pounds. Same for Strathfillian. Baile an Or requires a permit and a reservation..

Thanks Clay & good to see you on the thread. The prospector I know just uses a pan. Not sure what arrangements he makes for permission. Maybe he is an outlaw. (I wonder if Robin Hood in merry England ever panned for gold LOL. My guess any gold he got was taken from the rich in the form of jewelry.)

On 11/6/2023 at 8:28 AM, mcmichael said:

These are pictures of me detecting in scotland for gold this is the typical ground that gold is found in 

When I lived in Scotland, I once went on a train past the Kildonan train station and saw a big patch of diggings near there....looked 'juicy' lol. Went panning at Baille an Or a couple times, the gold was actually pretty good and plentiful. The upper hills benches have been ignored. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aureous said:

When I lived in Scotland, I once went on a train past the Kildonan train station and saw a big patch of diggings near there....looked 'juicy' lol. Went panning at Baille an Or a couple times, the gold was actually pretty good and plentiful. The upper hills benches have been ignored. 

Cats out of the bag now.

D4G

• Like 1