Advice On Metal Detecting For Gold Nuggets In Finland

49 minutes ago, Swegin said:

Sounds like a nice adventure.   Does Garrett have more in store for you?   How many time did the movie SUSI come up? LOL..

I have no idea . They literally called out of the blue a week in advance and asked “want to go to Finland?” And I said “sure” without knowing anything more than that. Like what’s to know really, free trip to Finland, I’m in. I’m kind of a do anything at the drop of a hat improviser so it gets me a call now and then when people get in a pinch. 

Never heard of the movie myself and it never came up,

• Like 6

The tips in that are very relevant to New Zealand and I'm sure many other countries too.   I like all of the Nordic countries although I didn't even realise they had gold to be found in Finland.

Fantastic being able to go to Finland to do this, and I hope it encourages more Finns to take up prospecting and by the sounds of it Garrett has worked out their detectors like the 24k and Axiom are ideal for Suomi conditions.

i guess your trip was too short to pop up any gold?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, phrunt said:

The tips in that are very relevant to New Zealand and I'm sure many other countries too.   I like all of the Nordic countries although I didn't even realise they had gold to be found in Finland.

Fantastic being able to go to Finland to do this, and I hope it encourages more Finns to take up prospecting and by the sounds of it Garrett has worked out their detectors like the 24k and Axiom are ideal for Suomi conditions.

i guess your trip was too short to pop up any gold?

I spent way more time traveling than looking for gold. Reno to San Francisco to Helsinki to Rovaneimi, and then a 3 hour drive north to Tankavaara. Two kinda sorta days in the goldfields going from place to place. FedEx did not deliver the 24Ks as promised, so I did not have what I most wanted to use. Should have packed my own but oh well. No digging tools either except my short pick, so I hit the tailings with the Axiom, but just dug trash. Since I had no idea what to expect it was more a look around than anything else. The gold I saw from the people that were using the sluices was all very fine, far too small for any detector. We met up with a couple local detectorists that did have a few nuggets to show, largest was 2-3 grams.

• Like 6

Wonderful write up on this trip and enjoyed it very much.

There is a lot of good usable information that pertains to a lot of places here in the states also.

Hope they continue to have you in their corner for their detectors and hope they take your advise on how to make their products better.

Hope you had time to have some fun while you were there and as always good hunting.

• Like 3

Very good write up Steve, thank you for taking the time to share it with us!  The photos really make it also. Are you or Garrett putting it as an article for a prospecting magazine? 

I’ve seen some beautiful copper nuggets formed when glaciers pressed them from their lodes, have similar other soft metals like gold been found in Scandinavia by the same process where the nugget is not a quartz and gold specimen but has been “pressed” out like like the copper float nuggets have?

• Thanks 1