So, Are There Any Third Party Coils Actually Now Available For The Axiom?

Knomad

There are no third party coils for Axiom and our best hope, DeTech, went radio silent on the matter. The factory coils are what there is and I'm not holding my breath for anything else. X-Coil came up with an 8" round prototype but it did not really work out.

Garrett hints they may do more coils someday, but that is someday like in a year or two. They are busy on other projects now. So long story short these six coil options are it for the foreseeable future unless somebody springs a surprise on us.....

BD8AAD68-D6A3-4BE2-ACB2-1238DC51EE5C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for info Steve.

I was afraid of that, It just seems like the third party companies that already make coils for the 6000 could easily produce the same shape coils for the Axiom.

I am not a fan of the Blunt Nose shape of the Garrett coils, I much prefer elliptical coils, and a pointy traditional 5 x 10 is more or less the standard for gold detector coil size.  How about a Pointy 6 x 16..!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to So, Are There Any Third Party Coils Actually Now Available For The Axiom?
8 hours ago, Prospector Matt said:

Hi there, has anyone tried the 16” mono? I was looking to buy one if its worth it for added depth

I have the 16" mono and DD both and really don't use either of them, as they ruin the superb ergonomics my making the machine nose heavy. If I was on ground I was pretty sure had a 1 ounce or larger gold nugget I'd run them, but for smaller gold the gain is negligible to none depending on the ground. The DD in particular is quite heavy, but the mono you can run without the coil cover and it's actually lighter at 766g than the 13" DD with cover at 906g, so there is that.

16 DD Coil 948g SC 188g = 1136g (2.504 lbs)

16 Mono 766g SC 188g = 954g (2.103 lbs)

13 DD 750g SC 156g = 906g (1.997 lbs)

13 Mono 598g SC 156g = 754g (1.662 lbs)

11 DD 518g SC 74g = 592g (1.305 lbs)

11 Mono 424g SC 74g = 498g (1.098 lbs)

Coil Bolt + Two Rubber Washers = 10g (0.022 lbs)

BD8AAD68-D6A3-4BE2-ACB2-1238DC51EE5C.jpeg

Garrett Axiom 16”, 13”, and 11” search coils, both DD and mono

• Like 3

Sadly, I can confirm X-coils won't be making Axiom coils at any point unless demand for them picks up from a trickle to a volume that can justify it which seems unlikely at this stage, and Detech who were initially very enthusiastic have dropped off the radar on it. 

At least Garrett produce a good range right from the word go.  I would bet my left eyeball Coiltek and Nugget Finder won't do any so it's all in Garretts hands now.  It's such a shame, no security chip yet no one interested. 😞

If the Axiom came out a couple of years sooner manufacturers would be rushing to make coils for it, I think if Garrett come to their senses and adjust the price in other countries outside of USA the Axiom make take off enough to prick the ears of coil manufacturers.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

X-coils are not going to be producing them anymore, so the options are Detech, Coiltek and Nugget Finder, seeing NF can't even produce promised GPX 6000 coils I'd rule them out, so far, no interest from Coiltek but maybe the new Lite package at a more reasonable price will inspire more sales of the detector in OZ which could then get Coiltek thinking about it, although it's going to take more than what I estimate to be a couple of hundred or less detector owners in OZ to make coil production viable.

Detech were going to, but have fallen off the radar on it too so looks like they're not doing it anymore at this stage.

I think in a few years once enough detectors are out there the chances of aftermarket coils are higher, you can't get a return on the investment of making them unless enough demand is there.  Fingers crossed! 

Best way to show interest is to contact coil manufactuers asking, if enough people do that they may see it as viable more so than if very few ask.

• Like 2