Gold Vdi Map, 1+ Long Vid

Medina

Gotta hand it to the dude taking the time- that said found on a youtube link back to someones homepage. Safe link

Seriously it would appear, and forgive me for jumping to conclusions, but..I'm on the verge of being comfortable saying.......if you, and yes, I'm going for it..if you dig everything that crosses with any sort of constancy, you will dig trash, but you will also dig good things.. there. I said it

frigging gold rings/beeps/vdi's  from 1 to 70...perfect

https://calabashdiggeradvenutres.uscreen.io/programs/gold-map-manticore-neu-c6295b?category_id=185966

• Like 2

Why would that be uncomfortable to say? Uncomfortable to know maybe. :smile: Honestly, it's just jewelry detecting 101 and pretty common knowledge among experienced jewelry hunters. Gold items if you include earrings, chains, and pendants occur at every VDI number on the scale. Any rejection of any item comes at the risk of rejecting a good target. Metal detector discrimination is merely a game of playing the odds. If time and patience allows, you should dig all targets. But people lack the time, digging 1000 holes in a park may be pushing it, and mainly people do not have the patience for that. So we use discrimination to better the odds of digging good targets and less trash. But you never know what the things were that you did not dig, and anyone that has detected any amount of time has left good items in the ground thinking they were trash. That's just a fact.

Most people don't even know that all targets, if buried in mineralized ground at the limits of detection, will generally read as iron. So reject just ferrous, and you are generally going to missing the deepest and potentially most valuable targets. That is why common wisdom among gold nugget hunters is use a powerful PI detector and dig all targets. Target masking is also a more extreme issue than people realize and so leaving trash items in the ground is causing an entire layer of good targets to go undetected.

The Painful Truth by Thomas Dankowski - There is more good stuff left to be found but hidden from current technology - read why. A follow up to Dankowskis classic Beneath The Mask article.

• Like 3

I came across that video yesterday. I sure the hell wasn't going to watch a guy wave stuff in front of a coil for over an hour. I skipped right to the end in the hopes that he showed a picture of where each gold item fell on the TID scale. Thankfully, he did exactly that, and no surprise on the results either. It just reiterates that if you want gold jewelry, then dig it all. Although, digging everything from right above ferrous to right under zinc can help in that matter. Still though, that's also the range in which almost all the aluminum trash resides.

• Like 4

When jewelry detecting I often reject from zinc penny and higher, but there are rings, big ones mainly, that read in that range. If you want to narrow it even more the most valuable rings, women’s rings, generally fall below the nickel range. Down where all the foil resides. :smile: In the end though it’s just site reading and calling the odds as you see it for yourself and the time available. I’ll cherry pick a lot more if all I have is two hours instead of two days. This is copied from the Bill Watson thread linked to in my last post above:

Fisher used this information specifically to design the CZ series and decide how to lay out the target id tones and bins. They tested 255 rings for the CZ-70 and came up with some interesting percentages. I have seen these percentages reflected in the field.

2% of the rings were in the copper penny, dime, quarter range.

4% of the rings were in the zinc penny/screw cap range

49% of the rings were in the "pull tab" range above U.S. nickel

Only 10% of the rings were in the nickel range (emphasis added)

36% of the rings were in the foil range below nickel

0% of the rings were in the iron range

If you stick with the 49% tab and 36% foil range, you will get 85% of the goods, especially the high value stuff, while missing a large percentage of "trash", and that in this case also means coins. I do consider digging coins a waste of time, especially at depth while fighting heavy surf.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Medina said:

uhm, its a joke. Ultimately after everything we all know it boils down to if the signal crosses, even pretty close, dig it all.

thought the sarcasm shone thru! 😁

I come across many posts in which I'm not sure if the poster is being sarcastic or not. Written words just don't that have that beautiful "sarcastic tone" of verbal sarcasm 🙂

Anyway, kudos for that guy waving 200 things across his coil. I would have done what the guy from Metal Detecting NYC did with his "VDI bibles" for various detectors. He got his kids to do it! 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1