Last Hunt Of The Season #4

Just can't stay inside this season! Here in VA we have been blessed repeatedly with perfect detecting weather between insanely powerful nor'easters.

Chase told me he'd be able to come down today, who am I to refuse 😀 I asked him to pick from all the places to go, and when we got there I said "I'm not ready to give up on that field", a field we kind of hunted but were disappointed. A very old road went through it, it was part of a large plantation.20231229_103500.thumb.jpg.d3212d4d3c251753c32c5e8277f787b1.jpg

It's not a particularly large field, and looks kinda nondescript, but it sure had its surprises. Somewhere in the middle is an iron patch, the original road ran through it to the left. You can see where we parked in the background.

Today I had the Deus 2 and used the 13" all day.

Yesterday I was out in front of the house with the 11" after the 3d 3"+ rain we have had in a month, I was testing out my new WSA II XL headphones.

Here's a tip: When you first connect a new pair of headphones to the D2 it comes up with the equalizer initialized "flat". I was very disappointed with the audio from them until I first restarted the detector, and then adjusted the equalizer to the way I like it. Dug two buttons and quit for the day.

Back to the field. 😀 I did fairly well today, not too much stuff but Chase definitely won the day, I'll let him tell you. 🤐

First the trash, literally nothing in the iron patch is from later than the 18th century, with the exception of beer can slaw in what I now call "The Beer Zone", it's the 20 or 30 feet in from any road that passes the field, dirt or paved. 😁 I'll have to add that to Farm Hunting 101 for those of you that read it.20231229_173839.thumb.jpg.2feb409cb9b0e602b0bba7d153c63c91.jpg

Not even a handful of bullets, buckshot, wire and one piece of forged iron that managed to fool me. Top object is some sort of "hot rock". I did get the stainless nut heading over to another field where I found nothing. The big brass washer is some kind of bushing, it was a 96 on the Deus.

Finds were scarce but very old:20231229_181303.thumb.jpg.d63b43ae0c85574010884d452000680d.jpg

Got a very old brass padlock, a 94!  The next two buttons came from the field out front of my house. One is silver plated and very thin, thought I'd found a hammered silver. It says PLATED on the back. Next is a Tombac.

Bottom row is a very old ring with the stone missing, it's mangled but unbroken. Even has gold flecks indicating that it may have been plated.20231229_181909.thumb.jpg.7260159682e51ca59eff8c0494912c9c.jpg

It was a solid 62, a nickel signal.

The buckle bits are really fancy, wish I found more of it.

Last is a very highly decorated one piece domed button, the shank is gone.20231229_181515.thumb.jpg.3ef508810c710448133a0bf03e9bf919.jpg

It's possible the center had an initial cast in it, but it's too hard to tell and I don't want to mess with it anymore. There are no backmarks.

All in all a satisfying hunt, speaking of hunts we were surrounded by hunters all day but they did not object to us being there. 🙂

Here's a special nod to @Doc Bach, after I dug the padlock I got a "Fruit Salad" iron tone with all kinds of high tones, and dug what I think is an iron stirrup piece:20231229_173846.thumb.jpg.f938d988b8d5b7bb3915b04c9876c0d8.jpg

So yeah, you're right. 😝

42 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

Good report!  You are one dedicated detectorist my friend.  😊

Thanks Colonel,

So little time, so much to do. 😀

Another 5 hour 5 mile hunt. It's fun to hunt with Chase, bounce wild theories off him and get advice. I think we both have an affinity for history. We have it here by the boatload, and I appreciate his knowledge of detectors.

While my permissions do have a fair amount of interesting relics, it sure takes a while to find them!

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Just can't stay inside this season! Here in VA we have been blessed repeatedly with perfect detecting weather between insanely powerful nor'easters.

Chase told me he'd be able to come down today, who am I to refuse 😀 I asked him to pick from all the places to go, and when we got there I said "I'm not ready to give up on that field", a field we kind of hunted but were disappointed. A very old road went through it, it was part of a large plantation.20231229_103500.thumb.jpg.d3212d4d3c251753c32c5e8277f787b1.jpg

It's not a particularly large field, and looks kinda nondescript, but it sure had its surprises. Somewhere in the middle is an iron patch, the original road ran through it to the left. You can see where we parked in the background.

Today I had the Deus 2 and used the 13" all day.

Yesterday I was out in front of the house with the 11" after the 3d 3"+ rain we have had in a month, I was testing out my new WSA II XL headphones.

Here's a tip: When you first connect a new pair of headphones to the D2 it comes up with the equalizer initialized "flat". I was very disappointed with the audio from them until I first restarted the detector, and then adjusted the equalizer to the way I like it. Dug two buttons and quit for the day.

Back to the field. 😀 I did fairly well today, not too much stuff but Chase definitely won the day, I'll let him tell you. 🤐

First the trash, literally nothing in the iron patch is from later than the 18th century, with the exception of beer can slaw in what I now call "The Beer Zone", it's the 20 or 30 feet in from any road that passes the field, dirt or paved. 😁 I'll have to add that to Farm Hunting 101 for those of you that read it.20231229_173839.thumb.jpg.2feb409cb9b0e602b0bba7d153c63c91.jpg

Not even a handful of bullets, buckshot, wire and one piece of forged iron that managed to fool me. Top object is some sort of "hot rock". I did get the stainless nut heading over to another field where I found nothing. The big brass washer is some kind of bushing, it was a 96 on the Deus.

Finds were scarce but very old:20231229_181303.thumb.jpg.d63b43ae0c85574010884d452000680d.jpg

Got a very old brass padlock, a 94!  The next two buttons came from the field out front of my house. One is silver plated and very thin, thought I'd found a hammered silver. It says PLATED on the back. Next is a Tombac.

Bottom row is a very old ring with the stone missing, it's mangled but unbroken. Even has gold flecks indicating that it may have been plated.20231229_181909.thumb.jpg.7260159682e51ca59eff8c0494912c9c.jpg

It was a solid 62, a nickel signal.

The buckle bits are really fancy, wish I found more of it.

Last is a very highly decorated one piece domed button, the shank is gone.20231229_181515.thumb.jpg.3ef508810c710448133a0bf03e9bf919.jpg

It's possible the center had an initial cast in it, but it's too hard to tell and I don't want to mess with it anymore. There are no backmarks.

All in all a satisfying hunt, speaking of hunts we were surrounded by hunters all day but they did not object to us being there. 🙂

Here's a special nod to @Doc Bach, after I dug the padlock I got a "Fruit Salad" iron tone with all kinds of high tones, and dug what I think is an iron stirrup piece:

So yeah, you're right. 😝

Thanks for the honorable mention Bob! That's an interesting old piece of iron and you may be correct about it being a stirrup.Too bad that after digging it and rechecking the hole you didn't find your first gold coin lying a few inches below it.That would have made an instant career iron digger out of you for certain.

6 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

Thanks for the honorable mention Bob! That's an interesting old piece of iron and you may be correct about it being a stirrup.Too bad that after digging it and rechecking the hole you didn't find your first gold coin lying a few inches below it.That would have made an instant career iron digger out of you for certain.

Thanks Doc,

I did check... Some really cool things were found along that old road. There is a large patch of nothing but iron, I can only imagine what is hiding there. Might dust off the old Tesoro and hit it sometime. 🤔 I've seen what that thing can do with silver under iron.

Bob - The ring, lock, and that dome button were all individually visually interesting and great finds in their own right because they each infer an interesting story in our imagination of how they came to be where you found them.

All I can say is thank you for the hunt today a great wrap to the year and when I get a chance I’ll provide a recap on the great time I had not only today but this Fall and past Spring hunting Virginia’s Northern Neck with you and some of my other 2023 mid-Atlantic state detecting adventures.  Looking forward to more adventures with you in 2024.

Another nice hunt with some good relics, and I would almost bet that you will be back out there on Sunday.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

9 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Bob - The ring, lock, and that dome button were all individually visually interesting and great finds in their own right because they each infer an interesting story in our imagination of how they came to be where you found them.

All I can say is thank you for the hunt today a great wrap to the year and when I get a chance I’ll provide a recap on the great time I had not only today but this Fall and past Spring hunting Virginia’s Northern Neck with you and some of my other 2023 mid-Atlantic state detecting adventures.  Looking forward to more adventures with you in 2024.

Thanks Chase, it was a great year of relic hunting. Looking forward to your recap! 👍

5 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Another nice hunt with some good relics, and I would almost bet that you will be back out there on Sunday.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

Thanks VL,

You're probably right 🙄