Liquidating Jewerly -- Report Of An Actual Experience

Wow -- very detailed work!

I'll keep this information in mind should I ever accumulate enough gold/silver jewelry to considering selling for melt value. Thus far I'm only at about 4g gold and 9g silver. So, a long ways to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A terrific indepth read,thanks for posting.

• Thanks 1

Interesting read, thanks. 

• Thanks 1

Man, That's quite a bit of work but as you said...you wanted to learn.

I know of a couple customers who send their jewelry in as well. I don't think they go to the efforts and detail (in fact I'm quite certain) as you did.  

I still have not decided if I]m best to sell them individually to get top dollar or not waist as much time and work with a smelter in small volume amounts.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 6

I sold what I could independently, kept the one I liked, lost the ones that the wife liked☺️ and melted the junk gold ones with the dollied specimen gold and sold to it to the refineries.

• Like 2

Very cool. Gems are probably worth much more but getting them gia certified is around $100 per ring so a little investigation first can save quite a bit.

Don't rely on the acid tests, they are an ok ballpark but I am finding the test kit I have seems off. In particular the 14k solution seems too strong so many of the stuff I find tests at 8k even latest bracelet chain i found that was clearly marked 14k.

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing the information to us, and remember that some of the "Junk" items could be hard to find costume jewelry. Some of the old items can be as much as the real stuff or higher.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

...Remember that some of the "Junk" items could be hard to find costume jewelry. Some of the old items can be as much as the real stuff or higher.

Good point, but how do you find out?

The rightmost ring in my 'junk' photo was a particular surprise because of how attractive it is.  My eye said it would contain precious metal (more than just the gold plating).  I haven't tossed it (or sold at a yard sale) so it still could work out that I've misevaluated it.

• Like 3