Night Detecting

4 hours ago, Clay Diggins said:

Night detecting on that Placer Pete "claim" might be the best bet.

12N 2W Section 33 is not open to entry (NOE). There are no valid claims possible there.

ScreenShot2024-01-18at4_20_20PM.thumb.png.f10564af500b860100d7cbb4ea0010d8.png

Does “Not Open to Entry” also mean no metal detecting?  

Or is it like the Lynx Creek Mineral Withdrawal area where limited panning and metal detecting is allowed, but no sluices or powered tools?

Thanks Clay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisski said:

Does “Not Open to Entry” also mean no metal detecting?  

Or is it like the Lynx Creek Mineral Withdrawal area where limited panning and metal detecting is allowed, but no sluices or powered tools?

Thanks Clay.

It means you can't locate a mining claim (entry).  The minerals belong to the United States - not the public. The minerals have not been withdrawn, like Lynx Creek, they were never in the public domain. When land is deeded to the U.S., as with this section, the minerals do not automatically become open to location - the deeded land is not public land.

When the land is not public land the US can sell, keep or lease the minerals. Technically even prospecting is off limits without a license although obviously the BLM is looking the other way for now. The BLM has a note in the claim file that the land is "Not Open to Entry" which in another State BLM office would result in immediate closure of the mining claim.

You could legally metal detect or mine there with an exploration license or negotiated mineral lease. Or you could petition the BLM to open the land to location. That's not gonna happen in this particular case but it only costs about $35 to file the form.

• Like 2

I haven't been out to Steve and Phil's claim but I've spent some time nearby in that desert and several others.

What visitors experience during the day and what patient people experience at night in the desert are two different worlds. It's more like a jungle at night. The wonder of the night sky. The spicy smells of desert plants waking up for the cool night air. Busy busy critters everywhere.

Hard to reconcile.

To this day I wonder where all those critters are hiding during the day.

It's a kind of magic.

• Like 8

I've done lots of night detecting out from Alice Springs and in Western Australia. Never had an issue so long as you take some basic precautions, like carry your GPS. Can't beat the cooler nights in the desert, when the EMI is minimal.

We also set up a flashing beacon like on the top of mines vehicles, which can be seen for some distance from the car / quad / camp, just as a closer reference point. Depending on the terrain and trees, you can see it for a mile or so.

Rick

• Like 5

I have not been in the desert detecting yet, but I was night detecting a couple of nights ago until my girlfriend slapped my face.

• Haha 2

Must admit night detecting is not for me here in the UK,although during the summer months i can stay out detecting till it gets pretty dark but then i call it time and head home.....as i prefer to use full cup headphones even during the hot weather as i dont want to miss those real deep desirable signals,detecting in the dark is not for me as many folks could take a liking to a expensive detecting outfit for another fix so always prefer to be on the safe side.