AlgoForce E1500

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

I bet a lot of people are annoyed they sold off all their GPX coils for cheap prices when they moved onto other detectors.  Did you keep yours @Aureous, I'm even annoyed I got rid of a few of mine, I gave them away too.  Legacy GPX coils are going to be in big demand, especially the popular ones.

Sadly, I off-loaded most of my legacy GPX coils....I got a few that I gave to my Brother that I could get back though. Am thinking if I get an E1500, I'll do some testing with friends coils and see what works best for my needs and then build a couple with identical specs. I really like this shell (pic) plus I still got a few old Bill Hayes shells in small sizes to experiment with. 

12x7 mono.JPG

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you got rid of your coils, I bet they cost more to get back than you benefitted from getting rid of them, a common thing we will all face in the near future.  I made a few mistakes there myself.

That coil you've shown there is my worst nightmare!! open design, gets stuck on everything, and square nose to limit all tiny target sensitivity and ability to poke and prod into small spaces at the tip and tail and it's obviously a bundle wound with its thin frame, this is what you want for a coil in that size, this is the 6000 version of the 12x6"as I can't find a photo right now of the Legacy GPX version, this was a 12x6" semi spiral (windings later used on stock 6000 coils) on the legacy GPX, a coil I think will do very well on the Algoforce. 

12x6inchX-coilGPX.thumb.jpg.b9508128954d73794ae7f04c03d40913.jpg

Open designs on small coils are crazy, it's not like they're heavy, they're more of a problem than a benefit, never understood open design small coils like the 6" Nox coils, crazy. What's a few millimetres of plastic weigh to cover the gaps.

20 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Sorry you got rid of your coils, I bet they cost more to get back than you benefitted from getting rid of them, a common thing we will all face in the near future.  I made a few mistakes there myself.

That coil you've shown there is my worst nightmare!! open design, gets stuck on everything, and square nose to limit all tiny target sensitivity and ability to poke and prod into small spaces at the tip and tail and it's obviously a bundle wound with its thin frame, this is what you want for a coil in that size, this is the 6000 version of the 12x6"as I can't find a photo right now of the Legacy GPX version, this was a 12x6" semi spiral (windings later used on stock 6000 coils) on the legacy GPX, a coil I think will do very well on the Algoforce. 

Open designs on small coils are crazy, it's not like they're heavy, they're more of a problem than a benefit, never understood open design small coils like the 6" Nox coils, crazy. What's a few millimetres of plastic weigh to cover the gaps.

Yeah the 'problems' with open center coils are well known but really, its just a personal preference issue. I don't care much about sticks etc, a fraction of a second and Ive shaken them loose & continue. I used Coiltek Platypus and UFO coils a lot , plus the NF Superlight coils. Not an issue for me. In my potential build, If I use epoxy with micro-spheres, the weight will be minimal and no need for a coil cover. I just like the 12x7 size and this one is the only shell commercially available. Ive made a few rectangle  ones in the past and I'll give them a trial as well.

This is why I don't like them, and this is forgiving ground, it gets a whole lot worse.

thyme.thumb.jpg.065cf572a6dddf509c875b99754ad311.jpg

That disturbed ground was a * "flake" 🙂

* - Flake - Reg Wilson Trademark- R.thumb.gif.fc3834905bc89945cdba98a02a6b73b7.gif

Yeah thick grass and brush can be a huge pain....open coils can certainly slow you down there. Not much of that here thankfully.

My gold-size terminology is: Over a gram = 'Nugget'. Under a gram = 'Bit'. Under .1 gram = 'Speck'. Probably unapproved by Reg, but hey....works for me 😉 

14 hours ago, phrunt said:

Could always make up & fit a skid plate. Personally I have never had or noticed any issues with using the 6" or coiltek 10x5 open web design. The 11" a little bit but it never did my head in.

15 hours ago, phrunt said:

Open coils tend to be a little bit noisier in operation too when compared with an enclosed the same shape and size. I always felt they were and once met Rohan from NF and mentioned it. He agreed saying it was the extra shielding on the enclosed, not they are given more for any other reason than simply they require more, that makes them more stable overall. Less false signals and emi.

On 2/2/2024 at 8:35 PM, Nedkelly said:

After a couple of days testing the E1500 ,  I think it's pretty close to a sdc 2300 in performance but lighter, way better ergonomics, a lot more coil options and a lot more control with the settings . Not to mention half the price if you have a power bank and your own coils.

It packs up as small or possibly smaller than the sdc 2300, so will be ideal for hiking in the mountains or the gray nomads caravanning around the countryside and wanting a quality detector. 

The big test is tomorrow as I'll be pitting it against the gpx 6000.  

The  E1500 with a 9" round coiltek elite against the gpx 6000 with a 9" round coiltek goldhawk.  I sort of know what to expect but should be interesting.  4 gold modes on the E1500 compared to 2 on the gpx 6000.🤔 

OK no surprises with the gpx 6000. Definitely a lot more sting in its tail. As you would expect at 4 times the price the 6000 was superior with the small coil.

I tried the 17x13 " mono on the 6000 against the 18" Nuggetfinder advantage and 18" coiltek elite hoping they might close the gap. The E1500 in normal and large. If anything the gap widened 

I still think the  E1500 is a really good competitor for the SDC2300 .

At the end of the day , it all comes down to personal  preferences. 

I LOVE Tennessee whisky,   Tennessee whisky  , give me a JD any day. 

Anyway  to all the prospectors out there stay safe and dig deep and best of luck to everyone 👍 

Over and out

Aye NK I concur.