Travelling With Detector & Lithium Ion Battery

Hello - I have a Minelab Eq800 which uses a sealed lithium-ion battery.  As far as I know, having checked TSA and FAA websites, a Li-ion battery cannot exceed 100 watts if you are travelling by plane.  Q: can you please tell me how many watts this battery is?  TSA is also vague about even flying with one that is less than 100 watts and says one should check the airline's website.  Q: what do you do when there are restrictions like this?  When flying to France, I was able to take my Vanquish 540, but that uses AA batteries and I would really prefer to use the EQ800.  I would really appreciate any suggestions about flying with metal detectors and how you deal with the security issues.  Thanks a lot, Jane

25 minutes ago, DigInTheSand said:

Hello - I have a Minelab Eq800 which uses a sealed lithium-ion battery.  As far as I know, having checked TSA and FAA websites, a Li-ion battery cannot exceed 100 watts if you are travelling by plane.  Q: can you please tell me how many watts this battery is?  TSA is also vague about even flying with one that is less than 100 watts and says one should check the airline's website.  Q: what do you do when there are restrictions like this?  When flying to France, I was able to take my Vanquish 540, but that uses AA batteries and I would really prefer to use the EQ800.  I would really appreciate any suggestions about flying with metal detectors and how you deal with the security issues.  Thanks a lot, Jane

Jane -

First a carification.  The battery parameter the FAA/TSA is concerned about is actually "Watt-Hours" or "W-H" which is a measure of the energy stored in the battery and the potential for how much "fuel" is available to feed a fire vesus "Watts" which is a measure of the maximum product of volts times current that a battery can supply at any instant in time.

The Nox 800 uses a battery rated at 3.7 v at 5000mAH which is equivalent to 18.5 W-H which is well below the 100 W-H limit. 

More info in my post linked below regarding requirements for checked baggage vs. a carry on bag etc.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Travelling With Detector & Lithium Ion Battery

Thanks Chase, appreciate it.  I do know that Breeze Airways has 'Metal Detector' on their restricted item list!  In Florida they have some places that rent out detectors.  Would that be worth trying? Many thanks.

So it looks like Breeze Airlines is restricting recreational items that contain LiIon Batteries above and beyond the TSA restrictions which is certainly within their right to do so to further limit the hazard risk this technology presents to just personal electronics like phones, headphones, tablets, and laptops.  Anyway, without knowing what detector rental models or rates will be available to you in the immediate area you are visiting, I can't advise you on that.  I've never rented a detector and would be most comfortable with one that I was already familiar with.  Another option to consider would be to arrange to ship your detector to your destination in advance and then ship it back home at the end of your trip.  It might be more cost effective than renting and you'll have the detector you know you'll like.  HTH.

I’ve flown inside the US and to Colombia SA with a number of detectors including the Nox800, both carry on and checked. It has never been an issue with many of the airlines.  Of course check and make sure before you travel or maybe find a different airline.