Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - New Battery

For economy reasons, I have used a rechargeable 9V battery in my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT for as long as they have been released, even in the original Pro-Pointer as well. Not going to mention the brand of rechargeable battery publicly, but these batteries were 250mAh, NiMH (nickel metal-hydride) composition. They worked well, but the amount of time you actually use them in the field is directly related to how long they last, obviously. The problem I've had is how long the charge lasts in storage, because I always carry a spare with me in the field

OK, I pushed the wrong forum button I guess! Starting over again...

TIP #1 For economy & ecological reasons, I have used a rechargeable 9V battery in my Garrett Pro-Pointer AT for as long as they have been released, even in the original Pro-Pointer as well. Not going to mention the brand of rechargeable battery publicly, but these batteries were 200mAh, NiMH (nickel metal-hydride) composition. They worked well, but the amount of time you actually use them in the field is directly proportional to how long they last, obviously. The problem I've had is how long the charge lasts in storage, because I always carry a charged spare with me in the field. I've had days where the installed battery became discharged and then I go for my charged spare, only to have it not last very long. Then I was stuck retrieving "old school"!

Recently I have purchased a new "low self discharge" rechargeable NiMH 9V (same brand) that can retain an 85% charge for a year! You read that correctly.  Currently I have been using the same new battery in the PPAT for more than 4 outings and it is still going strong. Now when I go to use my spare in the field, it might even be usable! I paid $20 for 4 which is quite a good deal if they last a long time.

TIP #2 I've always had a bit of a problem taking off the battery compartment cover which I think is due to Garrett's really good submersible seal. Even though the cover has some flutes to it, I have trouble gripping the smooth low thickness cover. A workaround for me is to carry a 1/4" wide rubber band and wrap it around the cover when needed. If you can find a small diameter 1/4" wide band, all the better. The rubber band acts like a "kitchen jar lid opener" and gives me a good grip... OR, maybe I can get my wife to come with me and open it! :biggrin:

I've been using black ube lithium rechargeable on mine and carry an alkaline as a spare. Think I need to recharge it maybe twice a year lol.

2 hours ago, kac said:

I've been using black ube lithium rechargeable on mine and carry an alkaline as a spare. Think I need to recharge it maybe twice a year lol.

I never gave Lithium's a thought. Wow that is some duration of charge! I wonder how it compares in price though to a $5 NiMH. I used to keep Alkalines as spares to the NiMH as well until I went to buy some quality new ones and saw the price! 😆 When the NiMH wears out, I might start using Lithium too! But I think I'll have to charge more than twice a year hopefully! 🙂

I have used the Tenergy with no problems. Here is an older thread on the subject. Since I mainly nugget hunt my pinpointers really don't get enough use to justify using rechargeables and I've reverted to using regular 9Vs.

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I have used the Tenergy with no problems. Here is an older thread on the subject. Since I mainly nugget hunt my pinpointers really don't get enough use to justify using rechargeables and I've reverted to using regular 9Vs.

Thanks Steve.... After reading about the Li's and the melting, maybe I'll stick with NiMH! Yes, the brand I'm using now is the same, Tenergy, and they have been really lasting a long time. I originally bought a whole box (8) of the same early "blues" you show and most sat in the box never to be charged, still had the wrapper's on them. I should have rotated them because they eventually perished from non-use and no charge. Then I moved on to only a few of "low self discharge" version I talked about above which I will rotate. I still like devices where the battery is not hard-wired and can be replaced, rechargeable or standard.