Too High Gold ID Problem

On 2/11/2024 at 2:46 AM, Jeff McClendon said:

Every gold ring I have recovered in that time (77) has had very distinctive audio as in "I have to dig that target" except for one that had a fractured shank while using one of the detectors I mentioned above. I don't want to get into an argument with anyone about this distinctive audio. I will say that I work really hard with lots of practice on making sure that I really know what the most common gold target ID range targets tend to sound like and what their accompanying target ID tendencies are.

Well said Jeff, that sums it up for me as well.. With the Equinox 600/800 I'm also finding that after digging loads of junk within the same TID range as gold rings, you begin to recognise a certain tone as 'Dig Me!.. To me this tone seems more solid or whole compared to the slightly harsher emptier tone of junk targets within the same TID range.. I know it's all highly subjective but even being hard of hearing I can make out this subtle difference in tone..

With the D2 it's a different story, I'm still getting my hearing around what gold rings sound like.. As mentioned above the D2's wider TID/tone range on gold rings compared to the Equinox 600/800 makes it harder to be sure of your target and more frustrating to learn.. With the D2 I'm yet to experience that 'Yes it's a gold ring for sure!' moment but I've also got way more hours on the Nox..  

Thank you also for your testing and comparisons.. I always make sure to read them..     

• Like 3

@Erik Oostra @Jeff McClendon

I confirm exactly what you have written about the quality of gold signals....

The Deus2 has a slightly chatty background signal that constantly accompanies as you move the coil, and it is easy to hear a sudden silence with a solid, distinct peak in between, even the volume goes up at that moment (this is accentuated if you don't overdo it with audio response over 3 and I have found it more effective).

Of course, the screen in this case also has an ID that fluctuates less, I would say between two or maximum three points, if not a solid digit with object in perfect position.

This happens with virtually any good target whether it is cylindrical in shape or a coin or a ring....

I have been smiling on the wetsand recently whenever I could tell the difference between a foil and a solid target.

My damnation is to repeat this audio investigation underwater, before digging down to the pain in my wrist.

It is happening to me that I am finding an Excalibur with a brazen soft, round sound more effective, versus a dubious beep so extended over 50 possible IDs... that's it...

I am chagrined with myself in having to constantly doubt whether to dig beyond 60 points or not, and this unfortunately does not happen with other instruments, there is evidence everywhere on the net.

(Edit)

Accidentally found this footage and I'd say...A sure missed one for me...

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3fAhc9rO7w/?igsh=MWQ1NGV2cWZkdmt3ZA==

• Like 1