Single Frequency Vs Smf Gold Prospecting Detectors

A very informative test.

I don’t have the opportunity to nugget hunt but even so, SMF detectors opened up a whole new level of detection in difficult soils for me. Their ability to run smooth & stable in the worst mineralized ground, with Iron trash to boot is still a wonder to me. I still have & use my older Single frequency units for certain scenarios & also just for fun, but SMF is the way to go most of the time.

EMI has never really caused me a lot of problem. Lowered sensitivity still gets most jobs done if need be. I will usually lower Audio Gain first, then lower Recovery speed if practical.  The Legend’s default AG is 1 in Gold Field, I assume that is what you were running.

Hope you can get out of the house soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JCR said:

The Legend’s default AG is 1 in Gold Field, I assume that is what you were running.

Actually, I was using Audio Gain on 3 in Gold Field for the Legend. I like the updated threshold tone to just barely be audible using the stock Legend BT headphones. Leaving Audio Gain on 1, it is easy for my ears to lose the really weak responses. AG 3 lifts them out of the threshold tone nicely for me.

I use an Audio Response setting of 3 or 4 with Deus 2 FMF Goldfield for the same reason.

I wasn't sure how this testing would turn out. I had my suspicions but your assessment of these SMF/selectable single frequency detectors running in hot dirt using their multi frequency modes has been similar to mine. I really expected the ORX and Goldmonster 1000 to dominate on the smaller stuff. They didn't and especially the Legend, which for me is an upgraded Equinox 800, really stayed right with them and even beat them.

• Like 4

It really is amazing how sensitive the Legend is to very small targets, no matters what coil. I actually seldom run in M2 because it will have me digging too much tiny stuff. A .22 Short slug is small enough for me. JFYI, the Rutus Versa in Multi F Low conductor will see even smaller targets than the Legend. Maybe @EL NINO77can give an opinion on it’s nugget hunting potential.

• Like 2

VERSA in Multifrequency low conductor even in dynamic mode is really sensitive to small targets - the photo shows what I dig when I focus on detecting targets with low VDI 6-11...

VERSA  program Park -  Multi F low conductor

IMG_20231210_133107.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERSA  Program Park 1 F- 40 khz

VERSA 1F 40khz

IMG-20240205-WA0045.jpeg

• Like 3

I am very partial to anything from Poland after spending a lot of time there in the late 1970s. Owning a Rutus detector could be a possibility. 

However, I prefer to do detector gold prospecting with detectors with at least a dedicated gold prospecting mode. Rutus Versa does not have one from the time I spent looking through the manual.

For me anyway, an SMF VLF detector needs to be able to easily hit a 0.01 gram or a bit smaller target through 1" of iron mineralized dirt in order for it to compete with the Equinox 800/900/Manticore/Legend.

None of the targets in your photos show anything that size and I have not heard any reports of the Versa being deliberately set up for detecting sub 0.1 gram targets.

• Like 2

Jeff ..Rutus detectors have a very smooth True all metal mode...in multi-frequency mode..Dual mode .,,.,,,,, so it is not a problem to hit the finest targets,,,

in the pictures, I only document what VERSA is capable of on multi-frequency, if you focus on selective ...detection of targets from ID 7-11 from among iron...on an old stone road...
On my test field, I have a gold 0.05 gram gold segment buried at a depth of 10 cm in a low mineralized subsoil...
if the detector can hit this target...in discrimination mode, it is a powerful detector..

Target /N.2/0.05 gram Gold in 10 cm depth .. on my test field...

IMG_20211107_165315_793.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rutus ATREX  ...

Rutus *Atrex on multi-frequency program Coin
the first target is 0.05 grams of gold, at a depth of 10 cm /marked yellow/
the second target ... is 50 euro cents per 37 cm,/ not marked/
the third target is a copy /0.19 grams of lead/ of a very small 5 mm coin 1/24/stater at a depth of 11 cm../marked Red/

• Like 1

Jeff

Thanks these comparisons. I know Steve and others have cautioned about comparitive tests in the past, and with good reason, but some data is always better then no data.

I recall you had good things to say about the Legend some time back so I've decided to get one to back up (or take over from) my trusty GB2 that at 71 kHz probably has left stuff in the ground in my patches. 

One question. What is the makeup of the AZ dirt that you used? It looks like weathered granite wash to me. If you were to run a fridge magnet over it what percentage of magnetics would you get? Other stuff?? I was thinking of trying to replicate it, see if I get your results, run the GB2 over it and then add to your data. Be a while, mid-year or so. Of course there's probably someone down the street from you with a GB2 already 🙂.`

5 hours ago, Off Grid said:

Jeff

Thanks these comparisons. I know Steve and others have cautioned about comparitive tests in the past, and with good reason, but some data is always better then no data.

I recall you had good things to say about the Legend some time back so I've decided to get one to back up (or take over from) my trusty GB2 that at 71 kHz probably has left stuff in the ground in my patches. 

One question. What is the makeup of the AZ dirt that you used? It looks like weathered granite wash to me. If you were to run a fridge magnet over it what percentage of magnetics would you get? Other stuff?? I was thinking of trying to replicate it, see if I get your results, run the GB2 over it and then add to your data. Be a while, mid-year or so. Of course there's probably someone down the street from you with a GB2 already 🙂.`

Granite is in the area of that dirt sample but most of the sample is basalt, rhyolite, andesite, caliche, tuft, sandstone and schist. When I brush a magnet over the surface it gets covered almost immediately with ferro magnetic material including magnetite.

The reason I have good things to say about the Legend is clearly shown in this comparison. The Legend does exactly what its engineers and marketing department says it does. The fact that it easily competes with the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 and the XP ORX in this comparison and from my experience using them all in the goldfields I visit speaks for itself and its VLF gold prospecting abilities.

The same competitive aspects happen in all of the Legend's other possible uses. It's that good.

I don't have access to a GB2. 

• Like 2