Cheating On My Deus 2 - Taking The Manticore And M8 Coil Out For Some First Time Relic Hunting Love (long)

Great run Chase!

Nice handful of silver, buttons, bits and the like. Odd that seemingly sleepy field turned out to have so much stuff in it, either there was a house there, it was a dump, or a ton of topsoil was trucked in. Judging from the range of relics, I guess anything could be true. 🤔

At first I thought the M-core was making you dig more than you wanted to, but the good stuff was a surprise, we both had "find-a-minute" going in that spot. 

Glad the trip was worthwhile. 🙂

Just like my post titles, "Go Small or Go Home" 🤣

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

At first I thought the M-core was making you dig more than you wanted to, but the good stuff was a surprise, we both had "find-a-minute" going in that spot. 

Yeah.  I was mostly digging keepers, just that other than the cufflink and the silver plated taco button, there were no real stunner finds for me.  The dug junk was really no different than what we would dig with the Deus 2.  It is great to be in dig a minute mode with those targets.

• Like 3

The thing I like about the M8 in a coin type scenario is it punches well above its weight for depth, I don't normally like small elliptical coils for coin hunting as my coins that I want tend to be very deep with targets quite sparce, so I'm a 15x12" kind of guy, yet the 5.5x8" M8 coil surprised me, compared to similar sized coils on other detectors I've tried and far exceeding that of the Nox 800 and 10x5" Coiltek.

It's good to see you finding the benefits of the Manticore for your needs, a shame to see a good detector go to waste.  It sounds like with both available in your toolbox you'll be well covered with the GPX hanging around for when needed.

• Like 4

A nice time all around.  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

Access to promising sites is far and away the most important predictor of finds- regardless of detectors used.  Having both great sites and great equipment- well it doesn’t get better than that. 

• Like 2

Nice write up. Are you using version 1 or 2? I finally got my hands on a M8 coil yesterday so I'll be trying it out soon....I've not up dated my M-Core as of yet unless someone can convince me otherwise..

strick

• Like 1

Chase,

Really superb post.  I'm sure it took a lot of time to put together.

One aspect you mention about the Deus II is its "toe-heaviness" if such a work exists.  It is an amazing detector and I hope to own one someday.  However, every time one of my buddies loans me their Deus II to hunt with I can feel the upper forearm strain instantly.  They tell me you get used to it but in my limited experience with the detector it is surprising to me that such a lightweight machine still feels heavy because of the imbalance.  Any thoughts on this?

Also, while I'm commenting on your post, I have had occasion to use a Manticore for several beach hunts and to me it is a heavy detector.  To be very honest, my Legend is easily my favorite detector to swing in terms of balance and weight.  With the new lightweight shaft and arm cuff it is literally feather weight.

Bill

3 hours ago, strick said:

Nice write up. Are you using version 1 or 2? I finally got my hands on a M8 coil yesterday so I'll be trying it out soon....I've not up dated my M-Core as of yet unless someone can convince me otherwise..

strick

I'm on Ver 2.0 on the Deus 2, and the latest release for the M-Core.

It's all anecdotal because it is not documented in the release notes, but both Bob and I have run some comparisons and our general perception is that although the ver 2.0 update of the Deus 2 only explicitly mentioned increasing Goldfield small gold sensitivity and compatibility with the Xtreme Hunter two-box coil, it appears that Goldfield's cousin, Relic Mode was also enhanced and overall TID stability seems even more rock solid and repeatable than in previous iterations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1