Yea Yea I Want An Algoforce But....

44 minutes ago, Lost Scout said:

I get the newer coils but is the amplifier that much more of an advantage?

Amplifier allows you to lower the threshold on the detector controls, but then amplify with the external amplifier. The effect of this is you can use a much lower threshold but still hear it clearly, and boost the quiet signals that were hidden by threshold to be audible. When combined with emi shielding you can also lift the stabilizer so you hear much smaller signals. The overall effect of this is much greater sensitivity to small signals. In effect you are running the dector using settings you previously could not hear. The amplifier quality is also much better than the one in the stock battery.

In my experience it allowed me to go over ground and hear deeper nuggets. But ask the australians, they all use amplifiers

7 minutes ago, Redz said:

When combined with emi shielding you can also lift the stabilizer so you hear much smaller signals.

You keep bringing up EMI shielding, what exactly do you mean by this? what are you doing for this shielding? 

I use this EMI shield cover, I thought it helped a little bit, mostly by allowing other detectors to get closer to my own.

emishield.thumb.jpg.12fce72ace73324ae8788bdd29bca77f.jpg

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

You keep bringing up EMI shielding, what exactly do you mean by this? what are you doing for this shielding? 

I use the shield you mention (thanks Aureous) plus Woody's emi filter. Biggest noticable effect was switching from stock battery to aftermarket lithium, and getting rid of the amplifier in the stock battery. That seemed to introduce a lot of noise.

After that I was able to run gain of 19 stabilizer 14 in most conditions, which was simply not possible before

Ahhh ok, I spoke to Woody about his EMI filter some time ago, it wasn't going to block out any EMI for me, it helps in Northern Western Australia with their radars going on, and in some other parts of Australia affected by them, but outside of that, powerlines and other traditional EMI I may encounter he indicated it wouldn't do a thing so recommended I don't buy one.

Seems like I'm all good then, I have the shield cover and use a lithium battery 😉

17 minutes ago, Redz said:

Amplifier allows you to lower the threshold on the detector controls, but then amplify with the external amplifier. The effect of this is you can use a much lower threshold but still hear it clearly, and boost the quiet signals that were hidden by threshold to be audible. When combined with emi shielding you can also lift the stabilizer so you hear much smaller signals. The overall effect of this is much greater sensitivity to small signals. In effect you are running the dector using settings you previously could not hear. The amplifier quality is also much better than the one in the stock battery.

In my experience it allowed me to go over ground and hear deeper nuggets. But ask the australians, they all use amplifiers

Ok. In some of the areas I try I have a lot of EMI in in others very little. That's one of the reasons I want to try an aftermarket coil. Sounds like I may need to look into an amplifier. Thanks

2 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Ahhh ok, I spoke to Woody about his EMI filter some time ago, it wasn't going to block out any EMI for me, it helps in Northern Western Australia with their radars going on, and in some other parts of Australia affected by them, but outside of that, powerlines and other traditional EMI I may encounter he indicated it wouldn't do a thing so recommended I don't buy one.

Seems like I'm all good then, I have the shield cover and use a lithium battery 😉

See this is what I mean by subtleties. It can be regional. Thanks to both of you.

2 minutes ago, Redz said:

There are also coil cable ferrite snap on shields, but I dont know if they actually do anything

Nope ,they won't do anything for incoming EMI.

This is where the aftermarket helps again, Anti Interference coils, the Coilteks give similar performance to running a DD of the same size but your detector will be quiet as a mouse.   This is a video of mine when I first got it

I've got a Coiltek one which are figure 8 wound coils are are very effective.

Anti-Interference Series - Coiltek Metal Detector Coils

Detech also make them which I'm told are not figure 8 but normal DD with extra sheilding applied to the coil, not sure how they work, I've not known of anyone using one.

anti interference coils | Detech metal Detectors | Australi (detech-metaldetectorsaustralia.com.au)