Garrett Storm?

I must say, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of excitement over the Storm, had this been a few other brands talking about a new SMF release a thread like this would be going wild.  Hopefully Garrett can make the tide change, they've proven they're capable with the Axiom bringing a machine to market that is well beyond what many expected and up there very close to the best, they were aware the Apex was a low-end machine and kudos to them for that, they've now had time to work on it and improve it to become a competitive high-end VLF and I personally think they won't disappoint. 

Looking forward to seeing what you've got up your sleeve Garrett.🫰

• Like 4

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I must say, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of excitement over the Storm,...

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Hopefully Garrett can make the tide change,...

AFAIC all we have are rumors at this point.  A short response to a social media question -- is that the way of the world now? 

Detecting season in the Northern Hemisphere is fast approaching.  Similar to houses on the market, for the general detecting population (not necessarily the zealots here 😏), there's a sweet-zone in the calendar for people gearing up for summer recreation and we're pretty much on it with Spring popping up now.  (But there's always Christmas.  🤔)

Other marketing 'examples' of new detector announcements might have influenced Garrett.  Do they go the XP and Algoforce route, keeping quiet until they have models ready for sale, or Minelab and Nokta with teaser ads, etc. a few to several months before release?  They did the latter for the AT/Max, and I think for the Apex.  Wasn't the Axiom announcement fairly close to production?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

I must say, I'm a little disappointed in the lack of excitement over the Storm

They have not said anything to get excited about, just "new model." So what? New high end competition for Legend, Deus 2, and Manticore? That would get people excited. Another mid range detector? Not so much. Given the lack of information and the way people got hyped up over models like the Apex, only to be disappointed, I can fully understand a lack of excitement at this point. Especially with the hard core detector junkies that hang out on this website. :smile:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I glad to hear Garrett is releasing a new model. I would think any large metal detector company releasing a new model would have something better and have an edge over the competitors models or it would be a loss of money to the company if no one was interested in upgrading to it.

I know most big names try to do marketing hype to get sales but I do hope this is a new better detector and that is always exciting to see. With the last statement being said I will be glad to see the proof from the community who first test it out. I do know things have been really at a wall for performance on most detector platforms lately though.

• Like 2

It would be great if they could put it in a package like the apex and compete with the eq, legend machines. The only Us company that still has a decent pulse and good marketing skills. I still see al lot of at's out in the wild today. I'd love to support them.

It’s like said if it can’t out do the Legend,Deus 2 and the Manticore then why bother. 
Who knows if may be job security at Garrett because if they don’t come out with something they may be on the outside looking in .

Chuck 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

It’s like said if it can’t out do the Legend, Deus 2 and the Manticore then why bother. 

Because 90% or more of the detector market in unit volume is for detectors selling for under $700, a fact that always goes missed by the well heeled members of this forum.

image.png

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

They have not said anything to get excited about, just "new model." So what? New high end competition for Legend, Deus 2, and Manticore? That would get people excited. Another mid range detector? Not so much. Given the lack of information and the way people got hyped up over models like the Apex, only to be disappointed, I can fully understand a lack of excitement at this point. Especially with the hard core detector junkies that hang out on this website. :smile:

If your disappointed by the apex you got to try one on an ocean beach,they are really good, i've parked my cz and have about 3 years of ocean bashing without drowning it out

• Like 2

Garrett's last big hit, IMO, was the AT Pro. When that machine came out, you couldn't buy any XP products in the US and Nokta was just getting its feet wet here. Meanwhile, the Ace 250 was perhaps the best entry-level machine.

It seems to me like Garrett has lost a lot of ground at the entry- and mid-range to Nokta and at the higher end to XP. You also have First Texas leaning into mass retail sales of cheaper detectors, as was being discussed in another forum here. 

Where does that leave room for Garrett to stand out in the marketplace? 

A lot of us would love a new high-end machine (GTI 2500? pass, sorry) but that's not where most sales happen, as Steve points out. But there's obviously stiff competition in the $200-$400 range, too, and I'm not evening talking about the people who use Chinese clone detectors that you can buy on Alibaba, etc.

Unless the Storm takes some radically new approach to detecting or has some dark horse, innovative feature that none of us are even thinking of, it's tough to see a smart strategy for Garrett going forward.

• Like 2

If the Garrett Storm happen to be a cross between the TDI and the TDI SL it would give us a mid range PI that anyone could afford to buy.

I found it a great beach detector and with digging a target deeper than I ever have before.

As for the lower end detectors I’ve bought more than one for grandkids and heck I’ve got one coming today but it’s for me. It’s less than 250 from Fisher and a proven detector for some years now.

I believe we all operate within of what we can afford and I know myself that can vary from one month to another.

I say if this great hobby is just cost too much for you then go get a Bass boat.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1