Charles Garrett & The Coming Storm

Bob, I read your interview “Bob Stickler-the detectorist”, and chuckled to myself regarding your first detector, the BFO project described in a Radio Electronics Magazine. I read the same story in that magazine many years ago, and had to build one.   My coil was wound on a plywood blank with hole saw cutouts to reduce its weight. My dad affixed a broom handle as the shaft.  Its performance was meager, but it did work if the metal object was large enough.. The industry has come a long way since.  

I enjoy using my Apex with the 5x8 coil, too.  It’s super light, and I do well with it.  It’s been a good detector for me and my 70 yr. old arm for the last 3 years. 

You're a real treasure to the detecting community for all your contributions over the years.  Keep swinging, Bob. 🙂

1 minute ago, DIG5050 said:

Bob, I read your interview “Bob Stickler-the detectorist”, and chuckled to myself regarding your first detector, the BFO project described in a Radio Electronics Magazine. I read the same story in that magazine many years ago, and had to build one.   My coil was wound on a plywood blank with hole saw cutouts to reduce its weight. My dad affixed a broom handle as the shaft.  Its performance was meager, but it did work if the metal object was large enough.. The industry has come a long way since.  

I enjoy using my Apex with the 5x8 coil, too.  It’s super light, and I do well with it.  It’s been a good detector for me and my 70 yr. old arm for the last 3 years. 

You're a real treasure to the detecting community for all your contributions over the years.  Keep swinging, Bob. 🙂

Thank you for the nice compliment! We are around the same age, I turn 72 in June, so we definitely have the same experiences. My BFO coil was soft copper tubing wrapped around a 10" garbage pail with only the outside edge sawed through with a hacksaw, just enough to pass magnet wire through after deburring. I used thin plywood to attach and secure the final potted assembly. I bought my electronic parts at Lafayette Radio and breadboarded them. I dug up "tons" of huge iron around an old barn foundation behind my grandfather's property... I was hooked! Later on I bought my first commercially made detector, a 1977-78 Garrett Deepseeker and really got things going!

Thank you everyone, I feel very welcomed here. I apologize for the thread going off topic and pointing to me, I tend be a "little" verbose answering questions and commenting if you haven't noticed 🙂... But that's the writer in me I guess. I hope I can live up to all your high praise. To be honest, I just want to be among friends, make new ones, and relive some good times I've had in a hobby I love and helping anyone when I am able. I'm sure all of you out there are very knowledgeable and talented in your own right.

I will be away for a couple of days and I didn't want anyone to think I am ignoring your post. I look forward to participating in this forum. What a great bunch of people and a nice to place to be. Thank you again.....Bob 

It's great to have you on the crew Bob .  Your experiences cover a lot of ground , literally as well as figuratively !  The stories so far were also impressive .  👍 

We have a lot in common  besides detecting and prospecting . 

We'll have to start a chit chat thread in meet and greet or a PM and talk other gear addictions . My 2nd axe was a Mosrite bass.