A Good Week At The Tubing Hill And A School

I don’t post much, but I thought this might be interesting. The weather has been beautiful the past week, so I hit up an elementary school and a snow sledding hill across town and found a total of 21 rings including three gold, three .925 and fifteen junkers. As pictured.

On Saturday the school gave up six rings, including a 2.3 gram 10k, one .925, and four junkers. Someone had cleaned out most of the high tones, but left the copper pennies. That’s where the silver leaf ring was, in the Pennie’s. The top row is from the school

Sunday I scouted a small snow sledding hill nicknamed “suicide hill.” Lots of injuries from stupid behavior, like six kids crashing a kayak on the hill resulting in a broken leg. Duh.  During the summer kids ride 20 pound blocks of ice down the hill. Sounds like some of the stuff we did growing up in the 50s! Anyway, I hunted the hill and little quarter acre park on top Monday thru Friday and did really well. I don’t believe it had ever been hunted.

Rows two thru six are the rings found each day. Monday brought a silver ctr ring and a broken silver earring. Tuesday gave up a  6.25 gram 10k white gold men’s ring and a Versace medallion. Wednesday was all junk. Thursday gave up the 2.8 gram 10k with the brilliant stone flowers, a .925. And by Friday, I finished gridding the hill itself and called it quits with one last junker.

i still need to have a jeweler look at the flower stone ring before my wife claims it. 

Clad count for the five days was $49.30. Wednesday produced $15 in quarters from the apex of the hill along with the six junk rings.

This was an unusual week. With clad counts dwindling, I have been focusing more on mid-tones and lower in my daily 2 1/2 hour hunts. I’m at 60+ rings for the year (4 gold, 12 silver), but only $150 in clad. I feel like I’m digging fossil coins.

Good sites are rare but still out there.

Happy Hunting to you.

”J”

IMG_0789.jpeg

IMG_0961.jpeg

Dedication is paying off for you. Nice hunting.

Woooo-Hoooooo! Brother that is a haul - Congratulations!!!!

Thanks for the great write up on your hunts! Those type spots are what makes our hobby fun. And by the way....you da man for finding a great spot that hasn't already been pillaged. They are getting scarce these days. 👍

Unhunted sites are pretty difficult to find.  Thanks for the report and well done!

Nice hunt with some good finds for sure.

Good luck on your next outing, and stay safe out there.

22 hours ago, Wasatchgold said:

I hit up an elementary school and a snow sledding hill across town and found a total of 21 rings including three gold, three .925 and fifteen junkers. 

Your ring total, as well as the type total, are almost identical to what I found last summer in an unhunted private swimming area. If it was 35 years ago when I first started hunting, the junker to  silver / gold ratio would have been reversed.

I'm going to be hunting the top of our local sled hill in a couple of weeks. I already hunted the bottom of the hill and didn't find any jewelry. I just got some clad and a lot of winter coat buttons / zipper parts. I guess that was expected though, as it's mainly kids that go down the hill, and they're covered in head and toe with winter clothing...kind of hard to lose jewelry through that.

The top of the hill however, is the adult hang out. I haven't hunted it yet. The adults often take their gloves on and off for various reasons. That's a good way for a ring to slip off.

Where were most of your ring finds in the sledding area?