Going To New Zealand

The caves were a good stop.  Then we went to Rotorua and saw the hot springs and a bit of the town in a drizzle.

Today I was at Agrodome and we have showed up at Lake Taupo.

I stop late in the day after travelling and not any real time to do anything about uploading a picture.  During the day we have been to a McDonald's for some free WiFi but this is the first time I've been at a Holiday Park with enough time to read my email and no time to look and add pictures.

After I'm back I'll use this for a guide and add pictures and a bit more info.

Just enjoy and soak in NZ with your family MN.😉  

Understandable, very hard to see NZ in that amount of time, you'll be in a mad rush, I could spend 2 weeks just in my area and not run out of stuff to do as a tourist and many do, that's a pretty normal stay time around here.

Always check the sky at night, especially when outside of cities on the South Island, the Aurora is very active at the moment, 2 nights ago taken from Queenstown Botanical Gardens.

1120_rnz_aurora.thumb.jpg.b5f6cc5d12f63c3f8836a75de7284483.jpg

Hi Mitchel. Were you aware that Lake Taupo fills the caldera of of the Taupo volcano. That being a volcano that has collapsed into itself, often filling with water to form a lake. As in this case. Believed to have erupted 2000 odd years ago. A super volcano. Now that you have been there & seen the size of the lake, you can but imagine how that eruption must have been.

I hope the weather is clear for you as you travel on from Taupo heading south up on the volcanic plateau & along the desert road past the three volcanoes. Mt Ruapehu, Mt Tongariro & Mt Ngauruhoe. Still classified as active. 

Don't forget to stay on the right side of the road. In our case that is on the left. 😉

D4G

10 hours ago, dig4gold said:

Believed to have erupted 2000 odd years ago. A super volcano. Now that you have been there & seen the size of the lake, you can but imagine how that eruption must have been.

That was a 'minor' eruption but you made me look up when did the lake form and this is what I found:

Lake Taupō is in a caldera created mainly by a supervolcanic eruption which occurred approximately 25,600 years ago.

Lake Taupo is 234 square miles vs Lake Tahoe with 193 square miles.  

A few more photos of the Aurora Lights viewed over the weekend from various places around the Queenstown area. Very spectacular. I believe Mitchel is heading for Queenstown. 

D4g

1713739954365.jpg

1713739974824.jpg

1713739993048.jpg

1713740065521.jpg

I wonder if Aurora's make the PI detectors go crazy? We are getting a lot of them at the moment and that's set to continue, it's probably something a GPX 4500 or similar would be affected by.  I know they make my Cars radar detector go a bit funky.

Just because we can only see the Aurora at night doesn't mean it's not there at daytime too, could be a potential source of unexplained EMI problems with detectors.  My 6000 was running beautifully the same day of an Aurora a few days ago but I'm not so sure something like the 5000 would cope as well.

23 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

That was a 'minor' eruption

GEOGRAPHY

THE POWER OF TAUPO

Lake Taupo lies in the caldera of an active supervolcano, the site of the world’s most violent eruption of the last 70,000 years. Just 10 km beneath it sits another lake of molten rock 50 km wide and 160 km long. With a growing need for alternative energy sources, plans for tapping this latent reservoir are hotting up.

Why would you consider it a minor eruption? It wasn't too minor from what I have read about it. You only have to see the size of the lake. Which you have. According to geological records, the volcano has erupted 29 times in the last 30,000 years with 25 of those in the last 12 thousand years . They reckon it last erupted about 250 CE, that is around 2 thousand years ago. 

Did you consider Mt St Helens a minor eruption?

Would NZ survive if Lake Taupō erupted? This is what they say.

For NZ, especially the North Island, if it's a real big supervolcano eruption, everybody dies (TM), to a first approximation. It could also seriously affect the climate of the whole earth. Well depending on the wind direction, the very least the east coast would be covered in ash, and lots of it.

I could go on but I think I have made my point, that is it wasn't a minor eruption.

D4G