Going To Rye Patch

I've got my stuff charged and ready to load it up and drive to Rye Patch for a 3-4 day workout before it gets too warm.  If this goes well then I'll try to get back up there.

I'll have 3 detectors with me and several coil combinations.  My plan is to grid an area (maybe with all 3) and mark what I find and see if the other detectors can see the targets.  I need to mark them somehow.  The other question is what detector and coil to use first ... and if I really want nuggets I should take each detector to new ground.  

How big will the grid area be?

It's tough to find anything up in the training areas but that is where the gold was before.  I'm not quadding so I can't go totally wild.

MN,

I've been markng my targets using barbeque skewers ($1.50 per hundred at Dollar store) with the tops dipped in a white paint jar (also purchased at Dollar store) and the bottom 10 inches spray painted hot pink.

Fast insertions, easy to see in thick foliage.

I use this in my ongoing learning/evaluation process comparing my new Legend and Old Reliable SDC. 

Good luck.

A roll of fluorescent orange flagging tape is easy to keep in a pack. Just rip a piece off as needed, tie to a rock, put it over a target. I use it for gridding too. If vegetation gets high you can tie to a branch instead of tossing a rock on the ground. 

When I'm working with field geologists this is how they mark stuff too, picked it up from them. I found carrying flags, cones, etc too inconvenient, you can fit 100's of targets worth of flagging tape into a small backpack pocket though and no metal.  

Mitchell, if you have OnXHunt you can drop a pin and color code it as well as an icon for it. It really helps me see a direction of gold travel 

Screenshot_20240519-105118-345.png

We used to use TP as flagging tied to a bush at each end of our transect walks when griddling for archaeological surface surveys, you can easily see it from the opposite end of your grid to help you keep walking each transect leg in a straight line. It also doesn’t stay long in the environment if you miss picking them up afterwards.

A can of marker paint would be easy enough. Good luck and enjoy your time out!