Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Very nice Rich..  That one aged vary well considering it was under ground.. Great detail!

Bryan

• Thanks 1

I never pass up a nickel because over the past 20 years I've found many women's gold ring digging nickels and below.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I never pass up a nickel because over the past 20 years I've found many women's gold ring digging nickels and below.

i'm enjoying your videos on the Nox...they are a big help thx!

strick

I agree with you. I often start out on a site cherry picking silver. I crank up discrimination and Max out sensitivity etc. Then I'll go back when I'm in the mood to try to sort out nickels and gold on my V3i. Cherry picking silver is a very quick and low trash process that ensures I'll walk away with something. But in the end, if I only hunt silver I could just use any lower cost powerful machine. All those bells and whistles would be wasted. Machines aren't good at sorting trash, but I've seen the people behind the machines get good at it using those bells and whistles like polar plot, spectragraph, Fe:Co numbers, variable notching and variable tone break etc.

Was out with the 800 today for an hour before work.  Visited a well hunted location. Turned up an 1887 V Nickel at 7-8”.  Had to remove a bottle cap at 3” that was very close to get a clear shot at the V. Had a rusted nail in the hole with it. It was a good find.

Rich (Utah)

• Like 5

Steve,

I'll throw my 1.5 cents worth in on this one.  Over the years I have had some good luck getting gold rings on nickel signals.  In the parks I hunt most hunters lump them in with tabs and foil and ignore them.  My last hunt with a White's MX7 I was testing got me a nice small gold ring that came through as a solid nickel reading.  So I always dig nickel signals. 

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great answers everyone! In case anyone thinks differently I normally dig nickels. Here is the last few hours detecting. Eight wheats so silver was possible however did not happen this time. 24 quarters, 35 dimes, 31 nickels, and 46 pennies, eight of which were wheaties. Funny these days how as copper pennies get ever more rare dimes are catching up as a found target if you ignore the zincs.

Equinox does like those nickels.

equinox-finds-1.jpg

• Like 5

I only dig nickels when they show up in the gold range.   

HH

Mike

• Haha 2

Man Steve, you had a good spot.  A coin every 2.25 minutes if you were out there for 4 hours........ (what does "few hours" mean? usually 3 hours)

Next time I'm in Reno, I'm going to follow you!! :smile: