Introduction From Lanny

Lanny

Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself to those that have no idea who I am or what I'm up to.

I mainly metal detect for nuggets now (chased the gold in Alaska, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Idaho, Montana, north-central British Columbia, south-eastern British Columbia, Alberta, but now I spend almost all of my time chasing the gold in British Columbia, Canada), used to dredge, sluice, high-bank, snipe, etc., (still do a bit for fun) but for more than a few years now, I've been associated with a large-scale placer operation, one that has slapped on me the title of their mining consultant. Sounds grandiose, however in no way is it, but they like to have me do testing for them with my detectors after they've finished cleaning a section of bedrock with their massive, heavy equipment. 

Why have me on site? To see what they're missing. Furthermore, after I've finished poking around, they've gone back and taken more bedrock (sometimes several feet) at times when I get a lot of gold in a hurry (or they've headed in another direction if there's a good line of pay shooting off under the overburden away from where they were trending), and other times when there's hardly any gold found with the detectors, they bury that bedrock right quick. It's a win, win situation for both of us as they value what I can do with my machines, and I value the privilege of the incredible opportunity. Their only caveat is that I can't tell the total weight of the gold I find to anyone outside of their crew (and I always must report it to them), but hey, who can't live with that, right? Oh, and they let me keep what I find, won't take a percentage (I've tried many times). 

In addition, I know a lot of other claim and lease owners that have properties they're not currently working, ones with abandoned excavations and sites, or ones they haven't got to yet, and they love to have me snoop around with my detectors as well, and if I find anything promising, they set up and get after the gold. I've been doing that for quite a few years, but I still like to check out unfamiliar, un-staked ground too.

In addition, I like to write stories about my gold hunting outings, and oftentimes, I'll include information for any rookies out there that are trying to figure things out as they get started. Why? That's how I got started; a few good people (my original mentor is now 88) took me under their wing and taught me the ropes (a few clichés too many in that sentence, I know).

My one son is now a dedicated nugget shooter (the other one lives thousands of kms away), and I love training him, plus my wife is now onboard with chasing the gold (she used to love panning my dredge concentrates, always heavy with goodies and always a good time for her and my mother-in-law [yeah, I know, sometimes the word fun and mother-in-law don't get used together in the same sentence]), and I'm ordering my wife a shiny new detector this winter because she's seen what we're getting (she loves to pan down our scoops of quick finds from the detectors which we slap in the pans when they're target rich for her to have some fun with; we call that speed-panning as it saves us the downtime of isolating the positive signals out of the scoop each and every time, giving us bonus time swinging the coils).

Looking forward to get to know many of you, and some of you I already consider friends from associations on other forums . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Nice to hear more about you Lanny.  British Columbia once again sounds like one of the (few?) places where unsearched/undersearched ground is still yielding.  Glad you've taken the opportunity to savor it.

Your experience helping the big boys (and getting to keep what you find) reminded me of what the Las Vegas sports books used to do (and maybe one or two still do).  When the US football lines (odds) were first determined (typically on Sunday, a week before play) they'd invite a couple sharpies to make wagers, but for a limited price.  They would then adjust the lines (in the direction of the bets) until there was no more interest.  The experienced bettors got some good bets and the bookies got a cheap 'lesson' on where to open for the public.

22 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice to hear more about you Lanny.  British Columbia once again sounds like one of the (few?) places where unsearched/undersearched ground is still yielding.  Glad you've taken the opportunity to savor it.

Your experience helping the big boys (and getting to keep what you find) reminded me of what the Las Vegas sports books used to do (and maybe one or two still do).  When the US football lines (odds) were first determined (typically on Sunday, a week before play) they'd invite a couple sharpies to make wagers, but for a limited price.  They would then adjust the lines (in the direction of the bets) until there was no more interest.  The experienced bettors got some good bets and the bookies got a cheap 'lesson' on where to open for the public.

Thanks for the comments, and that's quite an interesting story about Vegas, one I'd never heard before.

All the best,

Lanny

18 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And there is more!

Lanny has one of the longest active threads created on the related forums due to his amazing story telling skills. And I do believe he coined the term "sassy gold"!

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Always great to hear from you Lanny!!

Yes,  busted Steve. I have been telling gold tales for a while, it's true, and every year, I gather a few more as I keep chasing that sassy gold (thanks for the credit for coining the term).

Steve has always made me feel welcome and appreciated no matter what forum I was posting information on, plus he's one of the most knowledgable and helpful people I've ever had the pleasure to know, an outstanding person, truly!

Many thanks, and all the best,

Lanny

47 minutes ago, Lanny said:

an outstanding person, truly

I honestly can't agree that I was for most of my life. I was never a bad person but I have never been as good as I could be as a person. I am trying really hard now however so I appreciate that Lanny. Best wishes to you and yours! :smile: